The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (55 SHAKER, bhap, Barnfind49, Hambone, bluesman, sweepleader), 417 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,109
Posts935,688
Members42,781
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dash repair #1257619 Tue Mar 06 2018 01:50 PM
D
Darrell Day Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Hi everyone. I'm restoring my 1949 3100. Someone down the line opted to take out the original radio and hack the dash up to put in an aftermarket radio. It looks like they cut the dash out to where the knob control pegs would have gone in. What are my options for repairing this besides buying a whole new dash?

Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257626 Tue Mar 06 2018 02:40 PM
C
CASO Offline
Shop Shark
I cut the damaged area out and welded in a patch panel sans any radio holes.
I wanted no radio.
Made the patch out of a computer tower.

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257627 Tue Mar 06 2018 02:42 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I have seen repair panels offered for the radio area. Maybe LMC or Chevys of the 40s. Check the catalogs, they’re out there.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257634 Tue Mar 06 2018 03:12 PM
tclederman Online
Boltergeist
Chevs of the 40s - full dash
LMC - full dash

Do you see a smaller repair panel on either site/catalog?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257650 Tue Mar 06 2018 05:45 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Tim, it’s been several years ago and I really don’t remember who had them. I’ll keep looking.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257651 Tue Mar 06 2018 05:56 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Without seeing a pic or two. As patch material: Use a radio delete plate which has the same thickness and curvature. Several have sold recently on Ebay for less than $20.
or, of course, a donor dash piece from 47-53.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257653 Tue Mar 06 2018 06:06 PM
R
RdsLessTaken Offline
Shop Shark
Depends on how much of the dash is missing and how talented your body man is. The dash in my truck had been cut up to add a larger radio. We were able to fabricate and shape a metal patch, which we welded in to fit very well and added a radio delete cover. Only by looking under the dash can the repair seam be seen. I am told complete dash replacement is a VERY big job as it is welded in.

Attached Files
Dash Repair1.jpg (100 KB, 243 downloads)
IMG_8517.3 (1).jpg (109 KB, 242 downloads)
Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257656 Tue Mar 06 2018 06:26 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
I don't think anyone is talking complete dash install just for a radio patch. I assume they are asking "is buying a whole dash the only way to get a radio repair patch". It would be quite silly to replace the whole dash in my opinion. It is true that any part of any truck can be "made". But many folks are not that good at some shapes with DIY skills and can't afford a skilled body man. This area does not seem to be too difficult to "bend" a piece of sheet metal (computer tower) over a 55 gal drum or just use a piece of 55 gal drum. smile......or something like that. Using a delete plate seems best to me. As I said, without seeing exactly what the damage is.
P.S. I do not see a patch offered like TF and up have.

Watch out, Jerry has a wheelbarrow tub trick he may employ here.

BTW: old washers and dryers make good free sheet metal. Avoid the powder coated ones if you can.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257659 Tue Mar 06 2018 06:49 PM
tclederman Online
Boltergeist
If I had a hacked up dash, I'd take a couple of good/clear photos of my dash, showing enough of the dash so that the viewer sees what needs to be repaired/replaced.

Clearly mark the borders of the area of your dash that you want to replace. Make a paper template for the area you want, with "orientation markers" on a standard dash.

Post those photos here in "Parts Wanted". There are members here with unrestorable cabs/trucks, who might be willing to cut up their dash. Be ready to send your template to a responder who says they have clean cut-out area on their donor dash. The seller should send you clear photos of the dash area they intend to sell you. The seller should then make a copy of the template and return original template with the cut-out metal. That way the buyer/seller has a copy of what was ordered and what was bought/sent.

If I still lived in upstate NY, I'd first check with Bob Adler in Stephentown, NY - I do not know if he sells cut-outs, but I know he has a lot of 47-55 cabs.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 15 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Dash repair [Re: Darrell Day] #1257665 Tue Mar 06 2018 07:39 PM
MNSmith Offline
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I coulda sworn Wheelwright Restorations had a patch but I didn't see one there. I noticed that, if his product is being sold through a supplier, he takes it off of his web site. You might inquire to see if he makes a patch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty46 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop