The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (49shep, BigUglyv1, 3B, 593ETow, 2 invisible), 214 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,910
Posts960,371
Members43,513
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Ideas for hot rod
aggie jon #1255034 Thu Feb 15 2018 02:23 AM
Master Gabster
I have seen many ratrodded fenderless ADs and have yet to see one that looked right. Its all about the area of where the fenders used to meet the side cowls of the cab. It just doesn't work.

52Carl #1255068 Thu Feb 15 2018 01:59 PM
W
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by 52Carl
I have seen many ratrodded fenderless ADs and have yet to see one that looked right. Its all about the area of where the fenders used to meet the side cowls of the cab. It just doesn't work.

If you filled in the cowl area and smoother out the firewall to where it met the cowl, it would help. The other issue is the cab is so darn big. Chop the top and then narrow the cab up. A big block with Zoomies, yeah that would do.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
aggie jon #1255086 Thu Feb 15 2018 03:23 PM
"MONGO"
I've had a similar project bouncing around my head for several years due to the massive amount of modification needed I decided to build it as a model. Stock frame from a 54 (I have a junk one) Z'ed and shortened. Motor would be a Buick Straight 8 (Also have the motor) 10 inches Sectioned out of the middle of the cab. Square off firewall and cowl (Like a roadster should be). I didn't do it on the model but most likely section some height out of the cab as well, or potentially raise the floor to get the body further over the frame and closer to the ground. Shortened bed.. Never figured for sure what the scale measurement would be but it needs to balance out the massive Buick 8 on the front.
Ahh, also I've collected a 4 inch drop axle for the front and planned on running 16 inch wheels all the way around.

Mongo's Garage AD Roadster Hot Rod

Some time back I decided I was going to own every body style of AD trucks there were... Then I decided I needed a few that didn't exist..

Mongo

Mongo's Garage
Vintage GM Truck's & Parts
aggie jon #1255087 Thu Feb 15 2018 03:30 PM
"MONGO"
Ahh to clarify on the frame I planned on using the 54 3/4 Ton frame for a couple different reasons the rear axle kick up is lower so the bed can sit 2 inches lower on the frame and the frame rails are parallel from the cab back as opposed to tapering all the way back as on the 1/2 ton. This should make Zing the frame a little easier. Also the 3/4 ton frame is heavier to accommodate the Buick motor and all the modification..

Last edited by KCMongo; Thu Feb 15 2018 03:30 PM.

Mongo's Garage
aggie jon #1255095 Thu Feb 15 2018 04:12 PM
W
Shop Shark
Buick drivetrain... I like what you're thinking Mongo.

1954 3600 Chevy Truck
"The Fake Truck"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
aggie jon #1256455 Mon Feb 26 2018 05:42 AM
"MONGO"
So I went to deliver some parts to a body shop this week and they asked me if I wanted a cab they got back from getting blasted that was way too far gone for them to use for their customer otherwise they were going to send it to the scrapper. I took a look and although it was really really bad, It had an unmolested radio hole and the cowl vent didn't look too bad so I figured I could cut those out to put on the shelf when a customer needed to fix either of those spots. So being bare metal I didn't want to leave it outside so I've been working around it in the shop all week. Saturday afternoon I got a few minutes and fired up the plasma cutter to trim out the patch pieces. Then I decided that the cab would be perfect to mock up the roadster project full size. So I went ahead and cut the firewall/toeboard and the top off and sectioned the center out of the cab. For now I screwed it together with a couple scraps since my welder is at my other shop right now. I did the obligatory milk crate drive to test the fit and I'm liking it. The milk crate is a little tall, but I've got an S-10 bench that should fit nice and set a little lower.
If I end up sticking with this cab for the project it's going to need a lot of work but it's a pretty seriously modified project to begin with. The floor is pretty toast so I'm thinking a whole new one piece Floor/Toe/Firewall and in the process of that I might raise the floor a couple inches more to further hide the frame under the cab.
Anyway It's going to get rolled in the corner of my other shop for now but when I get some more time I'll pull it out and tinker some more with it.

And I added some pics to the gallery I shared before above and HERE

Worse case I saved some pieces that will help some other guys.
Keep on Truckin' Guys..
MONGO

Mongo's Garage
aggie jon #1256480 Mon Feb 26 2018 02:47 PM
Y
Shop Shark
That's great! Looks too fun as a roadster.

"I always win." Working mainly alone I do not let my trucks win a war. Maybe a battle here and there but never the war.

Robert
55.1 GMC 450 COE
51ish GMC Suburban
aggie jon #1256567 Tue Feb 27 2018 01:53 AM
Master Gabster
Looking good so far, Mongo.
Good plan on not making the full sized one out of soap. smile

aggie jon #1256575 Tue Feb 27 2018 02:19 AM
Boltergeist
Mongo, no one ever accused you of thinking out of the box!
Use it up, or wear it out.
Do with or do without...................your my hero, Steve!

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
KCMongo #1259269 Mon Mar 19 2018 09:15 PM
Shop Shark
That looks really cool Mongo!

1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop