The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (Hambone, olezippi, 5 Window 9434, 78buckshot, 5253chevyman, 1 invisible), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,469
Posts965,630
Members43,681
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1958 Massey Ferguson to 35
joker #1239586 Tue Oct 17 2017 01:45 AM
joker Offline OP
Moderator, Passing Lane
thanks, yes, have one of those hats, about 25 yrs old.. still in pretty good shape

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

joker #1239603 Tue Oct 17 2017 03:46 AM
R
Shop Shark
For more info on those tractors you can go here. They have a whole forum dedicated to just that brand.
As to the overrunning clutch, as mentioned, those are a must. Hard to tell from the picture, but it may already have one. In fact, a good likelihood. But it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

joker #1239625 Tue Oct 17 2017 01:23 PM
R
Shop Shark
With a 2 stage clutch there is no need for an overrun clutch on the pto. Push the clutch in half way and the forward/rearward movement of the tractor stops but the pto still works. Clutch down all the way pto/tractor movement halts. The tractor you're looking at appears to have an overrun clutch on the pto. Are the rear tires loaded with calcium chloride for extra weight? If so, check the rims for rust/rot. Will the 3 pt lift the implement and keep it in an up position after the engine is shut off. Does the 3 pt go up smooth or jerky? It probably has only up pressure. Check the spindles, king pins, tie rod ends and steering gearbox for wear. Nice paint jobs have sold a lot of tractors that actually had a lot of problems. Does it have a neutral safety switch, and does it work? The brush hog is not for mowing lawns. It'll do it, but not with the manicured look of a lawn mower. I mow my lanes and brush/saplings with my brush hog. It's kissed more than it's share of rocks. The tractor alone in good shape sells around here for $2000-3500. As stated above, with the implements included, if the tractor is in decent shape, the price is reasonable.

Rick

joker #1239635 Tue Oct 17 2017 02:54 PM
V
Shop Shark
Around here that price would be on the high side. It looks good in the pics but some good old boys like to shoot fresh paint on a wind broke machine to cover how it's been used. Double check around all moving parts for leaks.
At that price it should be in VERY good shape. Those implements add alot of value to the deal but do you need them? If you only need a tractor you may be able to negotiate some.

Just helped a good friend get his 58 MF35 running. Real easy to work on except: ain't there always excepts...
Changing out a clutch is a major undertaking, make sure the double acting clutch feels good and strong. Should feel similar to an auto.

Changing out the brake shoes is also a pain if the rear wheels are filled. Your looking at upwards of 300-500lbs per wheel. Make sure both brakes work independently and when locked together. Using the turning brakes is handy in loose soil/mud/snow etc.

The 3ph should be smooth and should hold in position. A REAL good 3PH won't drop after engine power is off and/or the clutch depressed. It should hold up for atleast an hour. My old Fergy TE-20 would drop as soon as power was off but it would hold steady with power which I found to be exceptable.

Steering box should be tight without excessive play. These tractors derive their power steering via your upper body, skinny front tires make it easier....

At the price range you're looking at you could include looking at some newer diesel powered CUT's that have PS, hydrostat, position control 3PH and the ability to accept a loader (FEL). Older JD's and Kubota CUT's with possibly less hrs than that MF35. Don't get me wrong tho, the MF35 is a good tractor but if you want a work tractor a newer model may be a better choice.
Alot depends upon want your wanting to do with it.

Good luck

joker #1239637 Tue Oct 17 2017 03:19 PM
joker Offline OP
Moderator, Passing Lane
thanks for all input, will mostly being just keeping 8 acres of pasture mowed..
no word from the seller yet..............if this one dont pan out we h ave
a MF 230 in mind, I think it might be a 70 something yr .. I like this one
but no telling when the guy will get back, a few times when I have
tried to buy and really ready I never hear back..
I think this one will be in really good shape as advertised,
I we really need is just tractor and mower but
I would buy as advertised, I am ready.. I have left message, text
and email.. waiting..

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

joker #1239699 Tue Oct 17 2017 09:49 PM
V
Shop Shark
It's 5' brush hog should work well mowing pasture. It should ride well in the pasture too. 8 acres will take awhile tho.
You could sell off some of the implements to make some $$$ back but they would be handy to keep.
Good luck, hope y'all can work it out.

Heres a link to some newer MF CUTs you may consider. They'll all sling a 5' brush hog.

joker #1239968 Fri Oct 20 2017 02:59 AM
H
Boltergeist
For a 60 year old tractor, even with the implements listed, that price is higher than the reproductive equipment on a giraffe! You might be buying a slick paint job on a piece of worn out junk. I'd start looking for a Kubota or a Yanmar 3 cylinder Diesel from the mid-1990's with a 5 foot belly mower unless you're planning to do a lot of heavy brush cutting. Antique tractors are fine for tinkering with (sort of like stovebolt trucks)- - - -I've got a couple of them myself- - - -but for routine mowing tasks it's a lot better idea to get something a little newer with a better parts supply system. They DO break down occasionally, and you WILL need to do a fair amount of routine maintenance. Might as well pick something that doesn't need PTO and 3-point parts that are obsolete and expensive!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop