The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (Brad Allen, delky, Bill Marlow, BorderMechanical, 55 SHAKER, 5 Window 9434), 336 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,181
Posts923,868
Members42,360
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rats!!! #1238244 Sun Oct 08 2017 02:41 AM
S
Sedgewick Offline OP
Shop Shark
Seems to be an influx of rats in the area this year. A few old homes with lots of brush were demolished to make condos and we think the rats bailed. A few weeks ago there was a commotion in the house around 4 am. My blind cat had cornered a small rat under a chest of drawers in my bedroom. Chased him out and the blind cat caught him. I chased another from the bunny barn not long ago.

Yesterday there was this awful stink in the kitchen. It was sickening. I isolated it near the Jen-Air counter top stove. Pulled the fan cover off and the smell was bad. Thought it might be the grease and such in the fan box. The fan vents downward between the burners. Cleaned the box and no better.

Put on the fan and checked the exhaust exit outside. Yes. Its coming from the exhaust fan system. Incidentally the exhaust exit is covered by ivy. Tried to pull the ducting apart in the basement but it was too secure. It was overhead by 8 feet. Ended up drilling holes and cutting the ducts with my tin snips. Ran my shop vacuum into it and nothing but rat turds. made another hole closer to the stove and the vacuum stuck on something. Pulled it out and it was a badly mangled rat. Must have got caught in the fan.

The kitchen smells better now. I sprayed Lysol into the ducts before I taped them up and into the rotating fan. Will try to get some thin wall galvanized and cover the holes with it and pop rivets. Threw all of my clothes in the washer but can still get a whiff now and then. Took me almost all day and a lot of work for an old guy.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238284 Sun Oct 08 2017 11:47 AM
1953 panel Offline
Shop Shark
We had that problem years ago in a previous home. They say that for every rat you see, there are 10 more in hiding. I killed one with my hockey stick, that bugger was tough. I hope you don't see any more.

Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238299 Sun Oct 08 2017 01:14 PM
M
MikeE Offline
Shop Shark
You need a couple barn cats with attitude.

1946 1-ton Panel
1952 1-ton Comml. W/Grain Body
My Webshots Album
Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238315 Sun Oct 08 2017 02:40 PM
B
Brad Allen Online
Shop Shark
Same problem this year at my home in Salt Lake City, construction displaced them into my neighborhood. Spent all summer shooting and trapping them. They for a time had a large den under my driveway which I flooded and sealed with that expandable foam. Seems there is almost something primal in the hate for these things.

Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238318 Sun Oct 08 2017 02:57 PM
F
Fox Offline
Shop Shark
This may be hard to believe, but I've never seen a rat where I live. In Alberta, there's a government team (supposedly) that comes and eradicates them if they are spotted. It actually makes the news if a rat is spotted so I think there must be some ring of truth to it. I've only heard of a rat sighting once in my life here in Alberta. Mice make a heck of a mess, I could only imagine rats.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238330 Sun Oct 08 2017 04:02 PM
W
WE b OLD Offline
Master Gabster
About 15 years ago I had mice in my pantry, a couple bait trays and no more. The strange thing a mole got into the house and I was cooking and saw movement out of the corner of my eye and did not believe it until I got closer, I set a trap and an hour later SNAP, done. I am surprised that I don't have more of a problem, I am surrounded by corn and bean fields.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Rats!!! [Re: Fox] #1238334 Sun Oct 08 2017 04:31 PM
1953 panel Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Fox
This may be hard to believe, but I've never seen a rat where I live. In Alberta, there's a government team (supposedly) that comes and eradicates them if they are spotted. It actually makes the news if a rat is spotted so I think there must be some ring of truth to it. I've only heard of a rat sighting once in my life here in Alberta. Mice make a heck of a mess, I could only imagine rats.

Last year I was driving in Saskatchewan, heading toward Alberta, following a pickup truck that was towing a combine header. He went over a bump and a rat dropped out. It was trying to get to its feet but was sliding along the road at 30 mph. When he finally stopped sliding, it was still. I ran over it, just be be sure.

Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238343 Sun Oct 08 2017 04:51 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Leo, did you stop and pick him up for some “Road Kill Stew” ?🐀🐀🐀

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238347 Sun Oct 08 2017 05:24 PM
SWEET Offline
ODSS Lawman
Leo your hockey stick story reminded me of an apartment community I used to oversee. Two of my maintenance guys would stand by the compactor when it was pulled to slap shot the rats because the garbage guy was afraid of them.

SWEET
Sergeant At Arms
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society

BUNS?!?!?! Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....

1950 GMC 450 (25% owner)
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Re: Rats!!! [Re: Sedgewick] #1238471 Mon Oct 09 2017 02:35 PM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
that is funny, never knew Leo played hockey... slap shot, he scores
Leo 2, rats 0

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop