The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (1954_3600, 69Cuda, '54 3600, 68ironhead, 1951Chevy1Ton, 29tons, 2 invisible), 572 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics108,008
Posts845,003
Members40,052
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
desert, Marcia, mark spooner, speed5105, Stepside_Sterba, USAbison
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1228641 - Sat Aug 05 2017 11:40 PM EZ Wiring fuse block  
dtwbcs  Offline
Shop Shark
College Station,Texas
How do I take the back off of the fuse block. Need to find out why over half of the fuses don't work. I know it is just plastic and I could just break it- but I would rather not.

Thanks

Danny
1958 GMC stepside going from 270 to GMC302

#1228876 - Mon Aug 07 2017 01:04 PM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
beltfed  Offline
Shop Shark
Knoxville, TN
I would think you need to contact the people who made your wiring harness for the correct procedure. The fuse blocks I've seen (aftermarket) use two feed wires. One hot all the time and the other feed through a switch.

#1228889 - Mon Aug 07 2017 02:39 PM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
Jim Sears  Offline
Shop Shark
MA
Some fuse blocks have unpowered fuses for inline connections. These would have connectors on both ends of the fuse.

#1228909 - Mon Aug 07 2017 05:20 PM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
bartamos  Offline
Master Gabster
State48 Ranch
There should not be a need to take it apart. Also, you will void warranty. Just do a continuity test on each wire and learn how it's wired. As Beltfed said, In one section of the block, one side of the fuses are on a always hot, hot bar, and the other side of each fuse goes to components. On another section the hot bar (ganged side) is switched to be hot and the other sides of each fuse goes to component switches. (usual way, but again you need to buzz it out to see how it's wired). Chances are you are not realizing how to wire it. Look at instruction again. Forget how you think it's wired and read more carefully.

The always-hot circuits are usually headlight switch, brake lights, horn..... things that a person wants to be operative without key on.
The switched-to-be-hot circuits are all the other components like heater switch, radio, wiper switch, coil, etc.
Switched-to-be-on means the ignition switch "ON". The ignition switch turns on a bank of fuses ONLY when the ignition switch is "ON"

It would be more helpful if you would state which fuses "don't work".

I read the EZ Wire instruction/diagrams just now on line. The worst diagrams I have ever seen. Many shapes are not identified. There is no cohesive schematic. Piece meal, hard to read, childish presentation. Childish drawings. click

I know, eventually you can figure it out, but being concise, clear, flowing and easy to read is what is called for on a DIY product. Not instructions and drawings that make sense to the moron who is writing/drawing them. The art of conveying information takes a certain expertise, as you can see by my posts. blush

Scroll thru This very slowly to see how a professional does a DIY kit. See any difference? Notice on the third sheet, the always hot bank and the switched hot bank in the fuse panel.

1958 Apache Short Fleet (As seen on J-Pop American Fun Time Now!)
1960 GMC K10 (The Oreo SpeedWagon)
Gimmie Jimmie
I fear no evil.

#1229007 - Tue Aug 08 2017 03:33 AM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
dtwbcs  Offline
Shop Shark
College Station,Texas
I will attempt to contact the company. The electric fuel pump had no power ;regardless where the switch was, it was dead. That's when I found out half of the circuits were not working. I will see if I can figure out which are not working although the cover can go on two ways dang Got the pump to work with a jumper wire. Think I will install an oil pressure switch for the electric fuel pump, as a safety factor.

Danny

#1229018 - Tue Aug 08 2017 06:38 AM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
bartamos  Offline
Master Gabster
State48 Ranch
You would not have that trouble with a mechanical fuel pump. wink

1958 Apache Short Fleet (As seen on J-Pop American Fun Time Now!)
1960 GMC K10 (The Oreo SpeedWagon)
Gimmie Jimmie
I fear no evil.

#1229477 - Thu Aug 10 2017 06:52 PM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
sleepindawg  Offline
Shop Shark
NE Kansas, USA
On my 12 circuit mini the fuse block has three pieces.
1) The cover
2) the fuse block
3) the mounting block.

To remove the mounting block from the fuse block there is a catch on each corner that has to be opened up (or relieved) to let go of the block. I use a flat bladed mini eyeglass screw driver.

Tim

Tim
1950 3600 Some Pictures
1951 3100
1952 3100 Some Pictures

#1229997 - Mon Aug 14 2017 12:03 PM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
dtwbcs  Offline
Shop Shark
College Station,Texas
Thanks for the replies . Hopefully I can get back to it soon. Had Honey dos to do

Danny

#1234600 - Wed Sep 13 2017 12:25 PM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
goneagain  Offline
Shop Shark
north Idaho
Danny did you figure it out? Seeing bartamos reply makes me wonder. Does the difference in instructions reflect on quality of the harness ? Also is the price difference worth it ? Ill be ordering one soon.

Why work on one truck when I can work on two and get half as much done.

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton panel
1938 Chevy 1/2 ton pick up

#1234627 - Wed Sep 13 2017 05:37 PM Re: EZ Wiring fuse block [Re: dtwbcs]  
dtwbcs  Offline
Shop Shark
College Station,Texas
Yes mystery solved. Emailed EZ Wire and they helped sort it out. The ignition switch needed a jumper from IGN1 to IGN2. They told me what all went where on my ignition switch.Fuel pump works so not installing oil pressure switch. It is a quality harness. Some of the wording was hard to read(combo small wire&weak eyes) but it is a standard gm wiring harness. More circuits than I need.Technical assistance "saved the Day". I would use the harness; as it being labeled every few inches really helped me.

Danny

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop