The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
30 registered members (55 SHAKER, 1954_3600, 69Cuda, '54 3600, 68ironhead, 1951Chevy1Ton, 2 invisible), 565 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics108,008
Posts845,003
Members40,052
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
desert, Marcia, mark spooner, speed5105, Stepside_Sterba, USAbison
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1229869 - Sun Aug 13 2017 03:59 PM 1946 3/4 ton Stakebed  
JoeR  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Southern California
I just picked up a '46 3/4 ton stake bed. Bed Photo

Bed Photo 2

The wood is obviously shot as are the strips. The corners are in great shape. I have a few questions:

1/ The stakes are bolted together with what appears to be carriage bolts with the nuts with the little points on the washers that you hammer into the wood. The bolts attaching the wood to the corners have hex holes in the heads so you can turn them into the nuts (the nuts can't move since they're in the wood) but the side bolts have no such holes so you can't turn the bolts. I have no idea how they put them together.

2/ It appears that the front wood, corners and side wood attached to the corners would have to come off as one unit since they're all bolted together, plus there is nothing else holding the corners to the bed. Was this from the factory?

3/ The wood bed slats appear to slide into the bed frame rather than sit on top of it.

Does anyone know if a regular long bed wood kit will fit or do I have to make everything myself?

I'll try and take some better photos once I get things cleaned up.

Thanks for any help
Joe

#1230545 - Thu Aug 17 2017 02:17 PM Re: 1946 3/4 ton Stakebed [Re: JoeR]  
T-RUCK  Online
Shop Shark
Turner, OREGON
JoeR
I have the same bed and side boards, It looks like you'res has been modified [the wood sides]anyway. I may be able to take some pics of mine so you will know what you are in for if you rebuild it. The bed boards on mine went away as soon as it got damp, the metal strips between boards looks to be about the same shape in cross section as the half ton but wider and longer [ mine were not good] . The front corners on mine were shortend for some reason ??? you'res look full size. there is a frame around a opening at the cab back window, I can get a good pic of this. The bed boards are about a inch thick but 2x6 2x8 possibly could work BUTT????? Good luck with you're project you have a long way to go before the bed
T-ruck

#1232052 - Sat Aug 26 2017 01:03 AM Re: 1946 3/4 ton Stakebed [Re: T-RUCK]  
JoeR  Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Southern California
Thanks for the info T. I got all 4 wheels moving this week. A lot easier to move around the shop. Took the tranny apart, cleaned it all up and gave everything a good soaking in oil and put that back together. Goes into all gears nicely now. Time to move to the engine.

If you get a chance could you post the photos of yours. I've got to rebuild all the wood parts so it would be nice to have a guide.

#1234417 - Tue Sep 12 2017 01:00 PM Re: 1946 3/4 ton Stakebed [Re: JoeR]  
GreggE  Online
Wrench Fetcher
California
Joe you sure have your work cut out for you. Looking forward to seeing photos down the line as you go.

Gregg

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop