The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (crenwelge, 46paneltruck, PapaDisco, Brad Allen), 162 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,423
Members43,829
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Removing paint from original
#1233534 Tue Sep 05 2017 04:08 PM
J
Jeffry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
PO painted my truck. That is starting to peel off. How do I remove the newer paint, while preserving the original paint?

Thanks,

Jeffry

1955 Chevy (1st Series) 3600
Re: Removing paint from original
Jeffry #1233552 Tue Sep 05 2017 06:27 PM
N
Shop Shark
There is no way to remove the peeling paint while "preserving" the original paint... you can carefully sand the peeling paint off, but you are going to end up sanding into the original paint in some places, perhaps in a lot of places, and perhaps down to the metal in other places..... you would basically be preparing it for yet another paint job.

Peeling paint jobs can produce a "patina" look that is kind of cool- does that interest you at all? I have a 51 GMC that was painted with a brush a couple of times many years ago, and it looks pretty cool now, as each layer peels away.

If your plan is to re-paint it, then I would use a dual action disc sander and go over it very carefully.

Do you have any pics?

ps- Another possibility is pressure washing. If its really coming off that easily, then some of it might lift with a pressure washer. But even if it did, you have no idea what it looks like underneath the new paint layer- there could be all kinds of bodywork under there, and not the pristine, original paint that you desire.....

Dave

Clutch head screws have stolen too many hours from my life....

1950 Chevy 3600 (resto-something) - the work resumes...
https://goo.gl/photos/8t5mLuj4JZebvGq49

1963 GMC Widebed Custom

1951(?) GMC flatbed that is now a flower garden:
https://goo.gl/photos/H79pvKhHLxjNiR149

1968 Chevy II Nova- not running, waiting for me to finish the '50 3600
https://goo.gl/photos/Dh7q4pt3WSkKjjFr9
Jeffry #1233584 Tue Sep 05 2017 08:53 PM
J
Jeffry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
The paint peels and flakes. In some spots, you can flake it off by rubbing over the edge with your hand.

A pressure washer might do it. I understand that I may get into the old paint with abrasives. And I am assuming some body work. (The fenders are coated with that textured bedliner stuff.)

But, where the paint is peeling, it looks to be in good shape. I want it to be as close to original as possible, like the rest of the truck. I don't want to repaint the body (the fenders may require it). And, "patina" is okay. But, butchered paint, bare metal, seven colors, grinder marks and clear coat can stay in LA. Just don't like it.

So, I'm looking for ideas to take it off while minimizing impacts to the original paint.

No. That's not quite true. I was hoping you might say, "Simple Green & rinse."

Thanks for the input.

Jeffry #1233635 Wed Sep 06 2017 02:39 AM
C
Shop Shark
Pressure wash it. Then work with what won't come off.
Dont go easy cause if it's gonna come loose you want to know now... not after spending hours sanding and rubbing on it.
Its a truck not the ol lady.

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
Jeffry #1233647 Wed Sep 06 2017 03:06 AM
J
Jeffry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
I have a dual-action sander/polisher. When I get to sanding, what grit should I start with?

Jeffry #1233663 Wed Sep 06 2017 12:08 PM
W
Shop Shark
If you are trying to preserve the original paint don't use your da sander.
I would pressure wash it with high pressure. Whatever paint is left I would use 600 grit wet sandpaper on a sponge to gently sand it away. Be careful to not sand the original paint.
If you are lucky, you won't find any body repairs under the newer paint.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
Jeffry #1233723 Wed Sep 06 2017 08:16 PM
J
Jeffry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks.

I have noticed that the newer paint comes off easily below the gas tank filler. Would solving the paint with gasoline or other solvent be a bad idea? Toluene or some other gas component?

Last edited by Jeffry; Tue Sep 12 2017 02:55 AM.

Jeffry #1233727 Wed Sep 06 2017 08:29 PM
W
Shop Shark
It would be worth a try in an inconspicuous place.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com
Jeffry #1233736 Wed Sep 06 2017 09:25 PM
J
Jeffry Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks, Wayne.

I see you're from FL. My brother is in the Panhandle. We sure have been praying y'all up.

Jeffry #1233768 Thu Sep 07 2017 01:11 AM
W
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Jeffry

I see you're from FL. My brother is in the Panhandle. We sure have been praying y'all up.

I'm in the middle of the state just north of Orlando. Thanks for the prayers!

Wayne

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop