The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
47 registered members (52Carl, 50Chevy3100, 55 SHAKER, 49choptop, 4 invisible), 578 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics107,456
Posts840,351
Members39,939
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
Aaron.B, CaptFrog, doghows, Dusty53, glenn33, mhumann, pmor, The Works
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1229825 - Sun Aug 13 2017 04:26 AM Harrison Fresh Air Heater Installation  
HandyAndy  Offline
SE Iowa
I'm getting very close to hanging the heater back on the firewall of the '47 3100. A while back I purchased a heater gasket set from one of our preferred vendors and I now see that it's more of a foam rubber material. I don't think this stuff will hold up to the test of time...........

Has anyone purchased a true rubber set of these gaskets? If so, where did you get them? I checked Steele Rubber Company's online product catalog and didn't find them. I may just get some 1/8" sheet rubber and cut my own.

Thanks,

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3100
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"Things ain't what they used to be and never were." - Will Rogers

#1229843 - Sun Aug 13 2017 12:42 PM Re: Harrison Fresh Air Heater Installation [Re: HandyAndy]  
CASO  Offline
Shop Shark
Warrenton, Oregon
Buy a sheet of the material you like and cut a new one.
Those hole punch sets from harborF work great for that.

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else

#1229936 - Mon Aug 14 2017 01:29 AM Re: Harrison Fresh Air Heater Installation [Re: HandyAndy]  
52Carl  Online
Shop Shark
Virginia
I would just use the foam one. When it compresses, it will fill any gaps caused by differences between the flange and the inner cowl. It should last just fine since it isn't exposed to the outside elements.
I would use 3M weatherstrip adhesive to glue it to the heater flange and leave the other side of the gasket clean in case you ever need to remove the heater later.
Carl

#1230045 - Mon Aug 14 2017 07:00 PM Re: Harrison Fresh Air Heater Installation [Re: HandyAndy]  
HandyAndy  Offline
SE Iowa
Thanks CASO and Carl,

I'll use the pre-made foam gasket for the inner cowl and cut a round rubber one for the motor through the fire wall............

Good idea on the clean gasket side too!

Andy

His: 1947 Chevrolet 3100
Hers: 2008 American Saddlebred

"Things ain't what they used to be and never were." - Will Rogers

Moderated by  Rusty46 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
#-->