The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (DJMTruck, Bluesky54, Gulfsuper, Alainfrenchie54, Hambone, 1 invisible), 135 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,766
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Valve Stem Seals
#1228931 Mon Aug 07 2017 09:26 PM
K
kthomas Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hello fellow bolters!

I am getting ready to replace the valve stem seals in my 1954 Chevy 235 this week and have done a lot of reading up on this subject and I see that several folks recommend going to umbrella seals (same ones that a small block uses), so I am wanting some recommendations on which ones to use, please and Thanks!

Hopefully something that a local parts store carries or can get in short order.

Thanks in advance!!

Kevin

Re: Valve Stem Seals
kthomas #1228938 Mon Aug 07 2017 10:26 PM
H
'Bolter
Be careful- - - -there's such a thing as too much oil sealing. If you go with umbrella seals (really foolish idea, BTW) take the O ring seals off that fit below the split keepers on the valve stem. Valve guides need to have a little lubrication- - - - -running them totally dry with too much sealing wears them out and creates massive oil consumption that no kind of seal can cure.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1228943 Mon Aug 07 2017 10:45 PM
K
kthomas Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Be careful- - - -there's such a thing as too much oil sealing. If you go with umbrella seals (really foolish idea, BTW) take the O ring seals off that fit below the split keepers on the valve stem. Valve guides need to have a little lubrication- - - - -running them totally dry with too much sealing wears them out and creates massive oil consumption that no kind of seal can cure.
Jerry

Hello Jerry!

I can definitely go with the o-ring seals. I seen some conversation back & forth about the umbrella's on another forum so just thought I would ask. As always, I appreciate your input!!

Kevin

Last edited by kthomas; Mon Aug 07 2017 10:48 PM.
kthomas #1228946 Mon Aug 07 2017 11:22 PM
P
'Bolter
I have seen many umbrella seals crack rendering them useless.
Stock O ring seals seldom fail if installed correctly( I always vacuum test them once installed).
I have only seen one engine where the O rings failed. That engine had sat for many years and the seals did dry out and crack.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
kthomas #1228951 Tue Aug 08 2017 12:04 AM
'Bolter
Are we talking about positive valve stem seals? The kind which are affixed to the valve guides? Or the kind of umbrella seals commonly used on older Furd engines

kthomas #1228965 Tue Aug 08 2017 12:59 AM
K
kthomas Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yeah, I will be using the original o-ring seals for sure!

Kevin

52Carl #1228968 Tue Aug 08 2017 01:17 AM
H
'Bolter
Originally Posted by 52Carl
Are we talking about positive valve stem seals? The kind which are affixed to the valve guides? Or the kind of umbrella seals commonly used on older Furd engines

Positive seals clamp to the top of the valve guide with a steel spring, and wipe the valve stem as it moves through the seal. An umbrella seal is a cup-shaped device that grabs the valve stem and rides up and down with it, deflecting the oil away from the top of the guide. Positive seals require a machined outside diameter of the guide and are usually used on race engines because they're very small diameter and allow the use of double or even triple valve springs. They're not really intended to be used on street engines that are expected to run for thousands of miles. I used a lot of positive seals on my round track engines, but a really old roundy-round engine might have 5,000 miles on it! Umbrella seals are a little better mileage-wise, but they still have a habit of getting tired and losing their grip on the valve stem.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
kthomas #1229161 Wed Aug 09 2017 12:37 AM
'Bolter
Thanks for the clarification Jerry.
I asked because I have tried the umbrella seals on a 216 and they deteriorated and split in no time at all. Must be they don't make them like they use to.
Carl

kthomas #1229180 Wed Aug 09 2017 02:06 AM
C
Shop Shark
Carl,
Corvair guy says use Viton.
CTT

chuckthetruck #1229356 Thu Aug 10 2017 12:52 AM
'Bolter
Originally Posted by chuckthetruck
Carl,
Corvair guy says use Viton.
CTT

I am familiar with Viton. It is also resistant to many chemicals. Good to know they make umbrella seals with it.

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop