The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (PapaDisco, Brad Allen, BC59), 155 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,423
Members43,829
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sanding bare metal for primer
#1228122 Wed Aug 02 2017 05:31 PM
S
Super55 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have all my rotten metal replaced with solid metal now and straightened the panels. I am ready to sand the bare metal and apply body filler to get the imperfections flush. What grit sand paper do I use to prep for primer? I did a search on the internet and saw 80 grit mentioned. Is that what most guys use?

This is my first project truck, I have done some work on restoring my antique tractor so I am very inexperienced. On the tractor I used epoxy primer and enamel tractor paint from AGCO on that project. Any good references on painting would be very helpful.

A day without laughter is a day wasted- Charlie Chaplin

When wrestling a grizzly bear, you have to keep at it until the bear gets tired, not when you get tired.

1948 Chevy 2-Ton
Re: Sanding bare metal for primer
Super55 #1228515 Sat Aug 05 2017 03:00 AM
F
Shop Shark
The Technical Data sheets for every product you want to use are on the internet. I am not trying to be a smart ****... but every product on the market publishes their technical advise to avoid failures. My recommendation is read them a couple of times, fully understand them before using them. If you are still not sure, contact the manufacturer with your concerns. They want you to have a successful result.

Having said that, bare steel with a "tooth" for body filler to adhere to is a good thing. 80 grit seems pretty coarse, but again, the TDS will advise.

You didn't ask, but I will mention anyway... "tightly adhered" coatings do NOT need to be removed. Painting over existing, tightly adhered coatings is perfectly acceptable. No need to remove all the coatings to prime and paint.

Last edited by FootStomper; Sat Aug 05 2017 03:04 AM.

~~ Darcy

1959 GMC 9310 Canadian- built Shortbox Fleetside Deluxe
FootStomper
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Project Journals Forum
Super55 #1228551 Sat Aug 05 2017 01:42 PM
ace skiver
Excellent advice: find and read the product sheets.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Super55 #1228623 Sat Aug 05 2017 09:42 PM
C
Shop Shark
Also be aware metal sands different to paint and fillers.
Duh
I mean,
Used paper may get your surface rough enough when sanding paint.
But use fresh paper on metal so you get proper surface prep for your primer.
If you have a good magnifying glass you can see the difference in the scratch depths.
It's like traction for tires...lugs or slicks
One you fight to make stick
The other fights to hold on

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop