The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (Grigg, 49oneton, Paul_WNC, ASU, joe apple, coilover), 394 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics107,934
Posts844,330
Members40,039
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Today's Birthdays
bgddyb, Dave Cadenasso, Jimmyn6544, mike albans, newdriver, Pete/ME, Singer64panel, telekenfun, Tony C
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#1225742 - Sun Jul 16 2017 12:47 PM Re: Welcome [Re: John Milliman]  
CinkoJr  Offline
New Guy
Middletown, NJ, USA
Hey all, Joe Cinko here in Middletown NJ. I just picked up a 54 Chevy 3800 long bed pickup truck to get running for my father. I've never attempted to work on something this old, so it should be a pretty good learning experience for me. I've already gotten the strange glances from the Napa guys as a 20 year old kid walking in asking for parts for something three times my age is rather unusual around here. I've been poking around here the past few days and I've found a lot of good information. Hopefully I can find someone fairly local in NJ to bounce ideas off of.

Joe

1954 Chevy 3800 Long Bed: ex-fire truck turned farmer's town run about turned restomod retirement project

#1225744 - Sun Jul 16 2017 01:04 PM Re: Welcome [Re: John Milliman]  
tclederman  Offline
Jarvisburg, NC
Welcome to Stovebolt.com, Joe

If you have questions, ask away.

If you have not already done so, go to the Tech Tips on Stovebolt.com (here) and start from the top. Scroll from top-to-bottom to see what is in there.

THEN, go back a read a few/many of the articles in the first three sections of Restoration & Modification.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 46 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE
If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.

#1225760 - Sun Jul 16 2017 02:17 PM Re: Welcome [Re: John Milliman]  
CinkoJr  Offline
New Guy
Middletown, NJ, USA
Been there, done that. Yesterday was a slow day at work so I spent most of the day reading through articles. It will probably make more sense when I'm staring at the truck to better visualize what I'm looking at. I definitely feel more confidemt working on the truck after reading the tech articles and looking at some of the diagrams online. The next major hurtle is going to be getting the linkages unstuck and sourcing an ignition switch, as someone robbed the one out of the truck. And figuring out the wiring.

First question, did all of these trucks come with turn signals? There's no holes in the fenders for the big orange ones, but I thought I saw some really long wires dangling by the steering column that looked like they would go to a switch.

Second question, I was flipping through the online service manual to find all the grease points and it said to use transmission lube to grease the u-joints. Do they actually mean gear oil, or can I use regular grease? I haven't checked to see if my driveshaft has zerk fittings on the u joints or not. I should probably check to see if those are wiped out yet as well.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Joe

1954 Chevy 3800 Long Bed: ex-fire truck turned farmer's town run about turned restomod retirement project

#1225763 - Sun Jul 16 2017 02:45 PM Re: Welcome [Re: John Milliman]  
tclederman  Offline
Jarvisburg, NC
What trucks are "these trucks"?
(always state year/make/model, if pertinent to your question/post)

I think that turn signals became standard equipment on trucks in the late 50s?
Factory-installed Optional turnsignals on trucks first became available in 1954.
GM accessory turn signals were available for trucks for many years before 1954, and the wires ran inside the steering column, exiting the column low under the dash.

We need to know your year/modell/size truck to answer the u-joint lube question.
Until 1954/55 u-joints were inside an enclosed drive-shaft "torque-tube", and were lubricated by transmission fluid (from the transmission).
In 1954, the 3800 u-joints were not in a torque-tube. They had grease fittings.
What document did you read regarding u-joint lubrication?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 46 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE
If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.

#1225767 - Sun Jul 16 2017 03:51 PM Re: Welcome [Re: John Milliman]  
CinkoJr  Offline
New Guy
Middletown, NJ, USA
My mistake, the truck is a 1954 Chevy 3800. It does have an SM420 with an actual driveshaft with u joints, not a torque tube. I read one of the service manuals posted on here.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/shop/1954truck/54ctsm0006.html

I was told the truck was uses by the fire department when it was new, I'm assuming by a fire chief or something, so it may have had turn signals or maybe some sort of switch mounted on the column or somewhere. I know there aren't any holes in the column drilled for wires to poke through.

Joe

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop