The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (ccanepa50, Chev4t6, 1958_Apache, Cosmo, 2 invisible), 195 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,946
Posts969,555
Members43,800
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Windshield rubber question
#1224946 Tue Jul 11 2017 01:47 PM
L
LeeD Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have a 56 1/2 ton and am about to replace the windshield. I have been reading in the forums about some of the problems people have been having with rubber products from some of the different manufacturers. I want to get the best gasket I can, but all I can go by is price; does anyone have any experience with the windshield gasket from Steele as compared to say LMC? There is a big difference in price, and I will gladly pay it if I can be confident it is the best available.

Thank you for your input.

Lee.

1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
Re: Windshield rubber question
LeeD #1224948 Tue Jul 11 2017 02:01 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Steele is the only way to go in my opinion. eeeek

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Justhorsenround #1224956 Tue Jul 11 2017 03:09 PM
W
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Steele is the only way to go in my opinion. eeeek

Agree

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

LeeD #1224958 Tue Jul 11 2017 03:14 PM
S
Shop Shark
FWIW, I ordered mine from CP, then sent it back after doing a little re-search on this forum. Sounded like an iffy proposition with Classic Parts rubber, and that's just too much trouble to find out too late that I should have used Steele, especially after having to send back various stainless trim to CP that didn't fit right and also showed very poor craftsmanship. (bad bends, sloppy cuts as if they hired some kids off the street to do the work). I sent my windshield and rear window rubber back to CP and ordered from Steele. I also spoke to the head guy at Steele before I ordered to make sure it was truly American made, and he was very friendly and said that the facility that made them was about 50 feet from where he was sitting in his office. He also told me that if I ordered something but didn't install it immediately, it was no problem. They would guarantee their rubber for the duration. They're a little higher priced, yes, but compared to being **** off at a badly made product and all the work it would require to remove and repair it, I'm very happy with Steele's products. The rear window is in and fits excellent, and the windshield seal is still in my tool room waiting for me to get to it, but after speaking with Steele and now knowing the pride they take in their products, I'm sure I'll be happy with it, or they will make it right. I'm ordering my corner window seals from them too. If you do a search on windshield seals on this forum alone, you'll convince yourself (like I did) that you're making the right buy with Steele. No headaches, no cheap faulty rubber, perfect fit, and best of all, no one on the other end of the telephone line telling you what you paid for is not their fault, and that you are the one that isn't doing it right (Been there, done that with CP - more than once). Hope this helps. I know it sounds like I'm a Steele stock holder or something, but I'm just a retired Ironworker from Missouri. I was dead set against paying the price that Steele was asking, until I saw what other guys said. And it's keeping Americans working, too!

LeeD #1225112 Wed Jul 12 2017 06:51 AM
J
Shop Shark
I fit glass for a living and had my first opportunity recently using Steele rubber on a '56 Cadillac sedans front and rear glass.
The quality,fit and the simple fact the rubber was correctly formed to suit the shape of the glass was far superior to most others aftermarket products i've worked with,in fact my own truck will receive the same as and when time and funds permit.

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
LeeD #1225132 Wed Jul 12 2017 01:37 PM
L
LeeD Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks to all for your input. I talked to he local shop that will be installing my glass, and he said basically the same as the above posts (I would repeat what he said, but I don't feel comfortable doing that). He'll get the glass, but I will get the gasket from Steele for the install.

Thanks, Lee.

1956 Chevy 3200, 235 w/3 speed
LeeD #1225136 Wed Jul 12 2017 01:53 PM
B
Shop Shark
I can't say enough good things about Steele products. I would rather replace it once and be done with it vs. having to pull out failed rubber parts.

1950 3100 5 Window
http://imgur.com/a/DAVYB
LeeD #1225178 Wed Jul 12 2017 07:38 PM
S
Shop Shark
Have heard nothing but good about Steele. When I replaced the glass in my 49 I ordered a gasket from a local supplier up here in Canada. Don't know the brand but its been in for about 10 years without any problems.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

LeeD #1225211 Wed Jul 12 2017 10:39 PM
T
Shop Shark
When i replaced the glass in my 59 I purchased from steele. While installing the front windshield, the rubber split at the seam. I called steele and even though I had purchased the rubber seals over a year earlier, they sent a replacement in a couple of days.This has been 10 years now and have not had any problems what so ever with the rubber purchased from steele. If I ever need to replace the seals on another vehicle I will purchase from steele.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop