The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 registered members (glennj3, KEVINSKI, 47bolter, Cosmo, 2 invisible), 146 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,502
Posts930,038
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Turn Signal Switch #1220102 Mon Jun 05 2017 06:20 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I am in the need for a complete turn signal switch that connects to the steering wheel column .

I would like your opinions on whats the best one to buy and anything good or bad concerning putting one on and what I may run into by doing so that would help me before hand.

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220135 Mon Jun 05 2017 09:03 PM
W
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
Basically there are 2 different ones from the aftermarket. One is like the ones used on large trucks. The other one is smaller & has an old patina look to it. Although the big one is better I like the small one as it looks better on the old truck. It is cheaper also. Not many of the specialty suppliers have the small one anymore but Speedway Motors still does. They come with directions & scematic. If you want your rear turn signals to go with the stop lights you will need a 6 or 7 wire switch. If you get a 4 wire switch you need separate lights in the rear for stop & turn lights. Sometimes you can find one on an old car/truck in the salvage yard but the wiring is hard to figure out as they all use different color sceams. Some of the old ones had a little rubber wheel that rolls on the hub & cancels the switch after the turn.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220148 Mon Jun 05 2017 11:01 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
If you look on Ebay you will see under: "vintage turn signal switch", many examples. Choose the one you like. Most popular is Signal Stat 900 or equivalent. New or used vintage. Clamps to column. Wiring is pretty simple. You need turn signal lamps at front and rear. Either new aftermarket, lamps from a donor vehicle or change your lamps to dual contact/dual filament sockets, a dash indicator (the Sig Stat has one built in)...and of coarse install an inline flasher relay. You will have self cancelling. The self is yourself.
1940 had optional turn sig with dual filament using the parking lamps in front and tail lights in rear.
Kits are available. Some don't use a column switch.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220162 Mon Jun 05 2017 11:36 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Bartamos.. thanks a bunch

I doubt many drivers on the road today even know what the hand signals mean ,,and that right there makes me nervous as heck ,,so sooner I get some working the better,,

I am wanting to put dual filament in my rear tail lights and then buy the front ones and mount them from the bumper..I will need help with the wiring ,,is there a "search" here on the forum about how to get this done? ---Self cancelling--,,I am bad at that.. I used to tell my dad to turn off the blinkers and now I am being told..

Last edited by idaho39; Tue Jun 06 2017 02:23 PM.

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220165 Mon Jun 05 2017 11:41 PM
B
beltfed Offline
Shop Shark
I believe "Signal-Stat" is the go to switch. If you troll the usual places you can find N.O.S. from guys who purchased them long ago and never installed. Did that myself and it looks like it was installed in the early 50's. Someone around here might give a used one up for the shipping. Like everything else..avoid offshore.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220172 Tue Jun 06 2017 01:04 AM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
The Switch will have color coded wires and a diagram if you buy new, if used, post the model and we will help you google. Generally it's 7 wires as George says.
1. Fr Left lamp
2. Fr Right lamp
3. RR left lamp
4. RR right lamp
5. To brake light sw output
6. To Flasher P (pilot/indicator) 3 prong flasher
7. To Flasher L (load)
Third flasher pin "X" to fused hot
Brake light Sw has a fused hot input
Which brings up that you need fuses for almost EVERYTHING on that truck. Old method uses no fuses. New modern method uses fuses and fusible links.

The brake light switch has to run thru the Turn sig switch so one side can be shut off during turn, otherwise it won't blink because blink and stop are on the same filament if you use one bulb.
Original tail light wiring is generally left in place on truck. You will bundle/tie wrap/sleeve down the column thru firewall and route to lamps. Lots of wire along, under and thru chassis.
Be sure all components are 6V compatible.

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220221 Tue Jun 06 2017 04:13 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by idaho39

I doubt many drivers on the road today even know what the hand signals mean ,,and that right there makes me nervous as heck ,,so sooner I get some working the better,,

Sometimes one needs to incorporate single digit gesticulation in an obscene manner to enforce the normal "hand signals."
Carl

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220270 Tue Jun 06 2017 04:31 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I am getting it all summed up from all the good advice above.......thank you very much

I need a Signal Stat turn Signal

I need a inline flasher relay

I need two front turn signal lights

I need a fuse block to mount under the dash for the buss fuses and relay flasher

I need dual filaments for my two tail lights I have now which is stock 1939 Chevy Sedan tail lights

I will need some 12 gu stranded wire ,,will measure after figuring out the runs to the lights ,ect ect

My 39 is changed over to 12 volt

I was thinking of running the wires down the out side of the steering wheel and to the fuse block and then on to thru the floor board to the motor area and then on to the 4 different lights .. any thoughts on doing this? I already have a sleave that has wires in it that runs from down the stearing post support to the floor.

I want small turn signal lights for the front ,I would mount them to the front bumper braces..Or ? got any favorites to share with me? again any thoughts appreciated

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220288 Tue Jun 06 2017 07:04 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Don't know the structure of 1939 Truck. Someone with that era will help with wire route. 12 Ga is too big. 14-16. A guide and Wire

Re: Turn Signal Switch [Re: idaho39] #1220292 Tue Jun 06 2017 07:39 PM
Cletis Offline
Extreme Gabster
I wrote a tech tip on this subject.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop