The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
8 members (artinva, Hotrod Lincoln, jdl, 2ManyTrucks, 55 SHAKER, 9% grade, 1 invisible), 202 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,921
Posts969,322
Members43,791
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Front Spring Shackles on my 58 1/2 ton Apache.
#1219392 Tue May 30 2017 10:51 PM
A
Moderated
Once I remove the four nuts from the shackles on the front springs how do you get the shackle side plates off? Are they taper fitted onto the bushings or is there something else keeping them from coming off? I've tried heat and a hammer but am reluctant to use too much of either.

Re: Front Spring Shackles on my 58 1/2 ton Apache.
Apache bud #1219511 Wed May 31 2017 07:53 PM
W
Master Gabster
They should tap or pry off. You have to take the weight off though. Put the axle on stands & raise the chassis enough that no weight is on the springs.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Apache bud #1219625 Thu Jun 01 2017 04:26 PM
B
Shop Shark
They can be tough to remove. They've probably been untouched since the truck left the factory, and wear can create grooves that hold them in place. It may take fussing with the jack to get the proper alignment for removal. I know on my one ton it took a lot of effort to get them apart, but they will finally come off.
Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Apache bud #1219767 Fri Jun 02 2017 06:23 PM
R
Wrench Fetcher
There is a slight taper. Once you get the weight off the springs they will come off with a little persuasion.

AC Delco still makes the replacement parts with the correct bushings, bolts, soft gasket, washers, etc. The nuts aren't the same as original and are slightly thicker, but otherwise, it's all the same as the old stuff.

Amazon has them for around $24, much cheaper than the truck supply houses. AC Delco 45G13044

Don't pay no mind to that whirrin' sound, she uses a little oil but outsida' that she's cherry.

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop