The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (Eureka Jim, 51 3804, 51sub, Alaska gasser, DennisM, 1 invisible), 243 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics118,962
Posts952,224
Members43,297
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Using the left foot on the brake pedal
Rich'sToys #1219617 Thu Jun 01 2017 03:43 PM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Rich'sToys
I have a friend who brakes with his left foot. It drives me crazy to watch, but it works for him.

Me, I still drive too many things with clutches, between my tractors and my trucks. I too was taught not to do it when I learned to drive. If I tried to switch now I probably would screw it up at some point and cause some serious damage. So I will continue to brake with the right foot.

Same here. I was taught right foot only, and I'm probably too old to unlearn at this point. It would be like trying to learn to switch hit as an adult.

Interesting to read how commons the left foot thing is....I had no idea.

LAJones48 #1219632 Thu Jun 01 2017 05:12 PM
Master Gabster
Next time you get into a tight spot where you're swapping back & forth quickly between the gas & brake, try it with one foot on each. You'll see quickly how advantageous it is to do the two foot method.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
LAJones48 #1219650 Thu Jun 01 2017 07:55 PM
B
Shop Shark
I've left foot braked even since I got my first automatic transmission.[1968]

LAJones48 #1219652 Thu Jun 01 2017 08:09 PM
L
Shop Shark
Wow. Three pages! Im glad I asked. Unfortunately, I don't see enough ammo to convince my dear wife to stop doing the left foot brake thing.

Larry

Tiny #1219660 Thu Jun 01 2017 09:01 PM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Tiny
Next time you get into a tight spot where you're swapping back & forth quickly between the gas & brake, try it with one foot on each. You'll see quickly how advantageous it is to do the two foot method.

Good point. I do use the left foot when trying to do something very precise. Like backing up to a trailer. But it still "feels" wrong. And I can hear my dad yelling at me inside my head.

LAJones48 #1220081 Mon Jun 05 2017 03:11 PM
I
Shop Shark
I found years ago that if you want a softer ride when crossing a bumpy railroad crossing ,,you ride the brake with your left foot and at the same time press the gas peddle down a bit more while crossing with right foot ..

LAJones48 #1220236 Tue Jun 06 2017 07:43 AM
J
Shop Shark
Here's my two cents worth,
In the UK if you were to use your left foot for anything other than the clutch during your driving test....instant fail.

Even if the test vehicle is an auto you are not permitted to use your left foot for brakes,in fact if you pass your driving test here with an auto trans you are not legally permitted to drive stick.
On the other hand if you pass in a manual trans car you are allowed to drive both.

The theory being it's entirely possible to overdrive the brakes with disasterous results as evidenced by the many Youtube videos of people barreling through shop fronts in parking lots.
Which I might add the majority of which seem to be from the USA,no doubt aggravated by your love of big torquey V8s,auto transmissions and/or perhaps left foot braking? wink

I've driven stick ever since I was a pup,in fact my current truck is the first auto trans i've ever owned in nearly 40 years behind the wheel.

However if I were to use my left foot to brake my muscle memory is now so pre-programmed to depress a clutch,you can just imagine the result so consequently my left leg is now just along for the ride...

My wife's first ever solo drive in an auto didn't go well,lets just say "thank goodness for seatbelts"! grin

She made the rookie mistake of using her left foot to brake.

That's despite my advice to basically ignore her left leg all together.

Last edited by jockbolter50; Tue Jun 06 2017 07:53 AM.

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
Justhorsenround #1220237 Tue Jun 06 2017 07:50 AM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
When on the streets I use the right foot to brake, when on the track I use the heel/toe method with a standard transmission and a left foot brake with an automatic. I always could multi-task.

A technique favoured by rally drivers,even in manual trans,quite often to keep the power on during cornering using the 'Scandinavian flick' although they actually use the left foot braking to deliberately unsettle the car generating a slide,not recommended in normal day to day driving obviously. grin

It became more prevalent too since the advent of turbocharging,by using the left foot for braking it allowed them to keep the throttle pressed to keep turbo spun up for maximum boost out the corners.

Formula one drivers also now use left foot braking due to space constraints and the advent of 'flappy paddle' gearboxes.
There's no clutch pedal to worry about now.

Last edited by jockbolter50; Tue Jun 06 2017 07:59 AM.

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
jockbolter50 #1220259 Tue Jun 06 2017 03:09 PM
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by jockbolter50
Here's my two cents worth,

The theory being it's entirely possible to overdrive the brakes with disasterous results as evidenced by the many Youtube videos of people barreling through shop fronts in parking lots.
Which I might add the majority of which seem to be from the USA,no doubt aggravated by your love of big torquey V8s,auto transmissions and/or perhaps left foot braking? wink

I was just about to get all ruffled up about you besmirching us "Yanks" for allegedly barreling through shop fronts, but then I thought about it for a minute and it dawned on me that there does seem to be too many convenience stores inadvertently turned into drive-thru's over here.
It is not due to "love of big torquey V8s,auto transmissions and/or perhaps left foot braking."
It is due to the fact that too many of us lack the ability to drive drunk.

LAJones48 #1220261 Tue Jun 06 2017 03:33 PM
G
My grandmother abused the brake with her left foot, and her cars got a new set of brakes approximately with every 3rd oil change.

Bothers me to follow someone driving up a hill with the brake on, or with the brake light flashing continuously for no good reason. Both indications of using the wrong foot to brake, and or not being any good at it if that's how they insist on driving.

That said I do use my left foot to brake on occasion, only for the first full stop after getting into an automatic car... quickly realizing they left out the clutch pedal!

Perhaps for those that must and with cars being entirely electronic these days they could program the ECU to provide no fuel when the brake light is activated. Or rig up a cable and pulley or latch system that ties brake and gas together so only one pedal can be depressed at a time.

Or simply drive with one foot as intended.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop