The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 registered members (Barnfind49, Bogart's Truck, Allen Lane, Bill Trotter, cmayna, 1 invisible), 364 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,522
Posts930,159
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1211838 Thu Apr 06 2017 03:35 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Man, I'm excited for you! I am fired up about working on my trucks which have no family history. I can only imagine how it must be for you.

Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1211841 Thu Apr 06 2017 03:49 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
The fuel pump is the round aluminum casting sticking out of the passenger's side near the front. The item you have circled is the starter. The rectangular pad just above and behind the fuel pump should have some numbers stamped into it. Scrape that pad (carefully) to expose the numbers. Rubbing a bar of white soap or a piece of chalk onto the pad and wiping it off will help make the numbers visible to a camera.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1211846 Thu Apr 06 2017 04:16 AM
M
Maybellene Offline
Shop Shark
I'm not sure how hard parts are to find for this era of trucks, but I'm assuming that they are hard to find. If you are interested in the '29, send me a PM and I will help you if you want.

Matt

Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1212319 Sun Apr 09 2017 11:59 AM
Woogeroo Offline
Socket Breaker

reasonselz,

finding parts is part of the adventure of 'old trucks are fun!'

grin

Look in the swap meet here... check out the links section here on the bolt for a long list of various vendors. Some of them sell older parts or have New Old Stock or used parts for sale sometimes.

Welcome to the 'bolt, looks like a fun project.

I've seen worse looking vehicles brought back to life, all it takes is work.

-W

Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1212385 Sun Apr 09 2017 09:08 PM
J
JW51 Offline
Shop Shark
You're going to need a lot of parts which aren't necessarily reproduced. A parts truck probably ain't a bad idea. Watch eBay and CL for running engines....194 or 207. That series was used from 29-36 but not sure if motor mounts or bellhousings changed.

Also don't hesitate to use the parts wanted forum here.

Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1212485 Mon Apr 10 2017 01:53 PM
J
John Milliman Offline
Founder/Developer
Now that truck covers a lot of family history! That is going to be an epic undertaking. But not unprecedented. Many of the Bolters close to HQ are familiar with John V. He is restoring one of his daddy's first trucks -- a 1930's(?) vintage Biederman. Although, it may just be an identical truck. But still, you can go to your average Saturday evening cruise in and swing a dead cat all night long and you probably won't hit too many Biedermans ...

At any rate, he started with a truck that makes yours look darn near like its fresh off the assembly line wink You might gain some inspiration from some of the awesome work going into that truck

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1218207 Mon May 22 2017 05:41 AM
R
reasonselz Offline OP
New Guy
Went out to the truck for the first time in a while. Mainly just took more pictures and took measurements. Been doing research on rebuilding the engine in it and not sure if its the path I want to take. The estimates I've seen is $1000 a cylinder and the engine would not put enough power for me to drive it on the highways here in Texas. The thought of an LS swap has crossed my mind but don't even know if it would fit under the hood.

http://imgur.com/a/YMunk

Trying to find a '30 cab and then probably will build a flat bed for the rear. Needing to get it out of the field so can really start working on it.
Also now that I know this is a 1 1/2 ton not sure if this thread should be moved to the Big Bolt section.

Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1218214 Mon May 22 2017 08:17 AM
Cletis Offline
Extreme Gabster
No, that truck was not designed to run on today's highways. But it would be great to putt around on city streets, going to local shows and cruise ins.

If you want to discuss putting an LS engine in it you need to start a thread in HiPo shop. You are starting a whole new ball game there.

"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
My TRUCKS website
Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1218224 Mon May 22 2017 12:33 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
The Filling Station might have parts for your year truck.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Great Great Grandfather's Chevy Truck [Re: reasonselz] #1218240 Mon May 22 2017 03:57 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Trying to make a 1930's vintage truck a highway cruiser is going to be a very expensive lost cause. They were engineered to run maybe 40 MPH tops. If you install enough modern bits and pieces to make it run, stop, and handle safely at highway speeds, the frame and sheet metal will be about all that's left of the original truck.

There are so few Chevy trucks of that vintage left that it would be a shame to see one with the history yours has butchered up into a hotrod. It's your truck, and your money, but at least consider doing a real restoration, not another resto-mod that will destroy its collectiblity.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop