The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
21 registered members (bowtietim, archburycontrol, classicchevs, alemachevyman, 3 invisible), 240 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,349
Posts938,278
Members42,909
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) #1215293 Sun Apr 30 2017 01:23 AM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Did a search in the SB for a reassemble sequence. Sparky the '46 Chevy 1/2 ton is at the stage in its restoration that reassemble of the cab interior and bed can begin. Front end sheet metal is still at the body shop. Cab has been installed on the chassis.
What sequence is typically used to avoid rework etc.?
My idea. Comments and alternatives welcome.

Start with cab interior:

A). Install insulation
B) Install electric wipers, note these were pre-fit and checked before body work.
C). Install gas tank and seat rail supports
D). Install steering column and pull horn wiring through
E). Install headliner
F). Install top valance, (wiper cover)
G) Install pre-wired dash with gauges

H) Install windshield crank assembly
I) Install rear cab/window sheet metal and cab corners with metal trim pieces
J). Install remaining trim parts and kick panels.
K). Install toe and floor boards
L). Install windshield and back glass
M) Complete wiring from engine bay to dash including horn and steering wheel
N) Install doors, related hardware (glass pre-installed)
O). Install door gaskets
P). Install seats

Box Installation will follow instructions provided with Mar-K kit.

NOTE: If not done already, start and drive the truck to make sure ALL mechanicals are working as needed. It’s a lot easier to access the engine and transmission now without the running boards and fenders in the way.

Q. Install the running boards.

Front end sheet metal:

AA). Fenders attached to inner panels before installing to cab and radiator
hoop
BB). Install front inner sheet metal baffles to fender fronts and radiator hoop
CC). Install lower valance
DD). Install grill and related pieces
EE). Complete the wiring to headlights and rear lights.

Last edited by 46Sparky; Thu Sep 20 2018 01:10 PM. Reason: Added more info and letter prefix to each item to help discussion
Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215305 Sun Apr 30 2017 03:00 AM
G
GWWirth Offline
Shop Shark
Install the windshield before the valence. You need to be able to adjust the hinges in or out. Do you have the drain tubes in the corners of the windshield at the cab?

Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215308 Sun Apr 30 2017 03:24 AM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks, GW. No. I did not know about the drains. This project was mostly received in pieces from the PO's widow. What do I need and where do the tubes fit?

Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215311 Sun Apr 30 2017 04:04 AM
D
DennisM Offline
Shop Shark
You might want to do the headliner before the steering column for a little more working room. One thing I found useful when putting in the steering column was to wrap cardboard around it and secure with tape. I wrapped all the way around leaving the top 1/4 open with the wire. Mostly just need something to protect scratching if it scrapped the seat base. Just made it easier for me. For different reasons I've had mine in/out a few times.

Dennis

40 Chevy 1/2 ton
Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215347 Sun Apr 30 2017 02:47 PM
P
Paul_WNC Offline
Shop Shark
Sparky,

I agree on installing the headliner before the steering column so there is a little more room to work.

The windshield channel weep tubes should be soldered into the lower outside part of the cab. They are ~3/16 copper tubes about 2-3 inches long. A short section of rubber line connects the weep tube to another ~3/16 copper tube that runs along the door hinge pillar exiting outside of the cab. I hope my description makes some sense.

Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215357 Sun Apr 30 2017 03:45 PM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks guys! That makes sense.

The drains and plumbing as Paul described apparently disappeared from Sparky long ago. From the location description, I wonder now if that is the reason the bottom front corners, both sides, of the cab were so badly corroded? Metal was mostly all gone for part of the corners. I have wondered why those areas decayed as they did. It looked like the cab had rested in water at those points, but there was no corresponding decay on the frame or elsewhere nearby. I have seen other models of these trucks with similar damage. I will now have to figure out how to reinstall these drains.

Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215365 Sun Apr 30 2017 04:11 PM
P
Paul_WNC Offline
Shop Shark
If your truck will be a fair weather vehicle, you may be okay without them...just towel the area dry if it does get wet. My 42 truck is still in the reassembly stage and I think I could get you some images if you are interested.

Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215366 Sun Apr 30 2017 04:12 PM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Lee, isn't restoration a hoot!🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215378 Sun Apr 30 2017 05:21 PM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Paul
Yes, please post some photos, of possible. If not an email will work too. An address is in my profile or I can send one to you via a PM. <<< No need now, see the following post update.>>>>.

Yes, it is a hoot, Martin. Sometimes in recent days I can understand a little bit how frustrated a mule must feel, stuck between two hay bales and trying decide which to begin eating first.

Last edited by 46Sparky; Sun Apr 30 2017 11:34 PM.
Re: Truck body reassemble sequence ('46 Chevy 1/2 ton) [Re: 46Sparky] #1215414 Sun Apr 30 2017 11:32 PM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Had time today to recheck for the windshield drain holes and tubing. I found them! The windshield holes were plugged and short tubes from each clogged. The longer sections of tubing had been disconnected and bent behind the "A" pillar, out of site. The bottom ends were no where near the outlet port at cab bottom and both were plugged/clogged as well. All were cleaned and reattached as apparently they should have been using the original spot welded steel clips. Now, I need to get the rubber hose pieces that join upper and lower copper tubing sections.

Thanks guys for the heads up on that step!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop