The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (66rollback, clarsen3100, 51sub, AD8, 3B, Chevy's till I d), 117 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,489
Posts956,745
Members43,414
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Screw removal
F*C #1204861 Sat Feb 18 2017 05:17 PM
C
Shop Shark
IF you can fill the tank with inert gas or water:

Take a thin piece of copper sheet and punch a hole the size of the screw head (if its exposed, or if its broken off make the hole the size of the bolt/screw itself) and place over the offending item like a bib.

If the screw is broken off flush or below the surface of the hole you can use your mig (or whatever)to fill/build up on top of the screw and the copper 'bib' will help keep things 'contained' to the hole.

Select a nut that just fits over the head/shank and fill that sucker up with a healthy dose of mig/tig or the gas weld of your choice.

Select wrench that fits nut.
Remove offending item.

IF you can't fill the tank with water or inert gas then don't try this on a gas tank

This works great when you've tried (and broken off)easy outs in the frozen bolt/screw. Turn that "OH Fudge" moment into solid success.
No Easy outs? Sacrifice an old tap.
Run an old tap in there till it breaks off and weld it in place, add the nut and away you go.

Give me ambiguity
or give me something else
F*C #1213088 Fri Apr 14 2017 10:33 PM
S
New Guy
Being in your situation daily as a airline mechanic,I have stuck to a strick approach with any type of fastener.
SCREW SLOTTED: hit it with aerokroil or another penetrating oil.Let it work its magic for a bit!.Dab coarse valve grinding compound on the head and screw bit tip.
Use a 1/2 drive speed handle! Press down hard with your shoulder and snap it in reverse with a quick force.
HEX head or ALLEN slotted hardware:Same as above but if the head corners are rounded or allen channel is rounded inside,then packing the head with valve grinding compound AND using a metric bit if its sae since you are basically now using a sub-incremented size (remember,its rounded out)
HEX headed bolts or nuts.Pack the socket with valve grinding compount to take up the slop and go for it.Again,since if its rounded off try a metric socket to fit tighter and pack the DAYLIGHTS with VGCompound for grip.
If all else fails,impact hammer or easy out time...

Last edited by stan barrington; Sun Apr 16 2017 03:43 PM.
stan barrington #1213153 Sat Apr 15 2017 05:16 AM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
Based on my experience, you're NOT going to get the screws out intact. Mine were rusted where the screws extended thru the shell of the tank, so short of cutting them off inside, there was no way they were going to thread out, no matter how much kroil or whatever I used.

I thought one of mine was loosening, but it was in the process of twisting off. After that, I just snapped them all off and drilled them out. Started with a 1/16 inch bit, then working up till the shell could be picked out. Ran a tap (same size 6-32) thru the holes and they're all good to go.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
klhansen #1213168 Sat Apr 15 2017 12:34 PM
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by klhansen
Based on my experience, you're NOT going to get the screws out intact. Mine were rusted where the screws extended thru the shell of the tank, so short of cutting them off inside, there was no way they were going to thread out, no matter how much kroil or whatever I used.

I thought one of mine was loosening, but it was in the process of twisting off. After that, I just snapped them all off and drilled them out. Started with a 1/16 inch bit, then working up till the shell could be picked out. Ran a tap (same size 6-32) thru the holes and they're all good to go.

I like the way this man thinks. I wish I thought of
this so I could say great minds think a like.
Jeffrey

F*C #1213293 Sun Apr 16 2017 02:26 AM
J
Shop Shark
Also, after soaking with the penetrating oil and before attempting removal use a drift of the same diameter, or possibly what ever tool you're using to remove said bolt and rap it with a hammer once or twice, this will help loosen things up per sey.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop