The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search
What's going on?
What's happening?

Find out in
THE SHOPS !

Genearl Truck Talk
20,267 threads; 177,521 posts
The Engine Shop
32,460 threads; 255,065 post
Driveline
8,796 threads; 65,970 posts
The Electrical Bay
9,505 threads; 74,285 posts
Sub: The Radio Bench
The HiPo Shop
5,040 threads; 46,029 posts
Paint & Body Shop
12,505 threads; 81,120 posts
Sub: The Doors
Interiors
4,059 threads; 26,817 posts
The Tool Chest
1,762 threads; 26,817 posts
Making a Stovebolt Bed
1,052 threads; 6,659 posts
Searching the Site

Get info about how to search the entire Stovebolt site here. To do a search for just the forums, get those details in the IT Shortbus fourm.
Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 members (bolter5410, jameschevypu50, bigblack'74, D B Cooper, 32vsnake, 68ironhead), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,597
Posts1,041,772
Members46,055
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
Shop Shark
I just went to install my brand new, rather expensive powermaster alternator that looks just like the generator it is to replace. However the pulley is about 1/2" off as far as alignment, and the mounting pads are about !/4" too narrow. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how they conquered the situation. I can think of a couple of ways, one would be to simply mill the 1/4" off of the original mounting bracket, and slot or drill another set of holes in the original bracket to allow for proper alignment. But it sure seems to me for the kind of money they were asking they could have come up with something that was a bit closer to fitting.

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
You're on the right track with your idea of how to correct the problem, but first try turning the mounting bracket 180 degrees and bolting it back on. If that solves the pulley alignment problem you might not have to drill new holes, but you'll obviously need to adjust the length of the bracket some way.

If you don't want to alter the original bracket, a piece if 1" wide, 1/4" thick flat stock can be heated and bent into an original-appearing part and then drilled to fit. I promise not to tell anybody if you do that!
LOL!
Jerry

Last edited by Rusty Rod; Sun Apr 02 2017 01:19 AM.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
B
Shop Shark
Oh, I realize it is a lot of money, however considering the amount I will have into this engine before I am done, what is a few hundred plus or minus. I gained some by turning it around, but I ended up drilling another set of holes, and taking 3/16" off the bracket. Quite an ordeal. But it looks good. I had done pretty well keeping everything 6 volt, but you can't run EFI on 6 volts.....

H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
EFI on a stovebolt- - - - -really?

LOL!
Jerry

Last edited by Rusty Rod; Sun Apr 02 2017 01:20 AM.

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.
Ernest Hemingway

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
B
Shop Shark
yes EFI, Hilborn is very adamant that mechanical injection is not suitable for street use, they can convert it to electronic. But I need it to be 12 volts.

[IMG]http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j435/IHBinder/James%20EFI%20stovebolt%20head_1.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Rusty Rod; Sun Apr 02 2017 01:30 AM.
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Please stay on topic. I removed a few off topic posts. Thank You.

Last edited by Rusty Rod; Sun Apr 02 2017 01:32 AM.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
B
Shop Shark
so anyway despite the difficulties, it is up and running again, the worst was the gas gauge, I had to drill out the itty bitty hole in the needle so it would sit farther down the shaft as it hit the "picture" frames inside the gauge panel. Then I couldn't get it to work, turns out there was a bad connection. but the starter sure does spin. It looks nice, I redid an old voltage regulator so it looks right, but it isn't actually a regulator anymore. got the nice 2 speed wipers while I was at it. Thinking about putting my stereo in it....when I got the truck it had an old tube radio in it. It ended up in the trunk of my old mercury meteor when it caught fire.

Last edited by brokenhead; Sun May 07 2017 03:57 PM.

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop