The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
21 registered members (carryall jerry, ESum, Drew54, Bill Trotter, 3 invisible), 379 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,294
Posts937,758
Members42,883
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy #1209993 Thu Mar 23 2017 02:51 PM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Did a search without finding the info needed.

I am wanting to install 3 point seat belts in my '46. Would someone that has done this in their Art Deco truck please offer advice on how they mounted the shoulder anchor reinforcements. This door frame looks to be considerably different than the info shown and described for these belts in the later model trucks.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1209998 Thu Mar 23 2017 03:30 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Lee, is it a double wall cab like the ADs? If so you may have to cut the area open to weld in the needed reinforcement and weld it back. I don't think there is an easy fix. Hope your having fun! Must be getting close to being done if your thinking seatbelts.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
ā€˜65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (Iā€™m #2)
ā€˜39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210010 Thu Mar 23 2017 05:30 PM
P
Paul_WNC Offline
Shop Shark
The body door frame (a complex bent ~14 or 16 ga C-channel sheet metal stamping) extends on the sides and top of the door opening. This C-channel is not sufficiently sound for a shoulder belt anchoring point. Some type of fabrication would be necessary.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210014 Thu Mar 23 2017 05:42 PM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Still lots to do and learn. The body shop was unwilling to do any seat belt related work. I think maybe it's a liability concern for them? They're doing really good work otherwise, except for speed. They will be painting the cab soon, so I was looking for ideas. I may have them just weld in some 1/4 inch steel pieces and then figure it out afterward. My idea would be to then determine the anchor point locations, then drill and tap holes for the bolts.

The other factor needing addressed will be seat anchors. I read in other related posts that is a weakness and potential added and best avoided experience in the event of a collision. These use thin metal rails with short tapered pins that fit into holes on the seat frame all of which rests on a pedestal welded to the cab.

Any ideas and thoughts on this will be appreciated.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210163 Fri Mar 24 2017 10:05 PM
D
dbs Offline
New Guy
I have the same problem in my 53 panel. I've been think of get seats out of any of the newer chevy trucks that have seat belt/ shoulder straps build into them. i have a friend with a chevy 1500 that has them but can't get to them yet with the snow. not sure how it's going to work out yet but that is my plan at the moment. i have some really nice seat in it at the moment from a conversion van but will give up the nice ride for safety.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210168 Fri Mar 24 2017 11:21 PM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks guys. I figured early on some fabrication would be needed, just from reading the many posts found in Stovebolt search. The other problem is the seat lower cushion anchors. All this would be somewhat easier with more modern seats, but I decided to stay old school, near original on this project.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210185 Sat Mar 25 2017 02:27 AM
H
Harold46 Offline
Shop Shark
Send me your email & I will send you a detailed description of how the 3 point belt is installed.
Harold

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210188 Sat Mar 25 2017 02:58 AM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks, Harold. Sent you a PM.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210246 Sat Mar 25 2017 08:33 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Truck Whisperer
You DO NOT attach seat belts to old truck seats or seat riser. You attach lap and shoulder using large thick plates. Under floor for lap. Near or on a structural member.
This is a VERY tricky issue. Because they were not designed in any way, shape or form for impact, you may actually be worse off with seat belts in an old truck. If you attach to the seat, the seat/seat bolts will break loose and seat will add to your inertia weight. If you attach to the floor and the seat breaks loose but belt holds, the belt will crush your guts. Modern seats and seat belts are designed to hold.
Then there is the shoulder belt portion. As you have been advised, the pillars are not designed for roll over, so the roof will crush you if you can't lean over because of seat belts....and the pillars won't hold a shoulder belt bolt. If the shoulder belt bolt breaks thru the pillar it will hit you in the head and kill you.
Have fun, drive slow, get good brakes and good brake lights.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: Seat belts in a '46 half ton Chevy [Re: 46Sparky] #1210283 Sun Mar 26 2017 01:51 AM
S
showkey Offline
Shop Shark
^^^^^^^^^
Agree with paragraph one.

Getting is an accident in old truck is problematic and not getting killed or very seriously injured is the goal. Staying in the vehicle is Priority one. The seat belt is critical in this Priority. Priority two is staying off the steering column and dash area. Seat belt is critical in this stage as well.

Agree the belts need to attached to the vehicle with the proper fasteners to cab body with reinforcements to spend the load. Most seat belt kits come with the hardware.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop