The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
28 registered members (baldeagle, 32vld, 63stepsideLB, 69Cuda, 3 invisible), 561 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics108,400
Posts848,267
Members40,082
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1208645 - Wed Mar 15 2017 02:00 AM Re: Wood Bed [Re: Tobztub59]  
tclederman  Offline
Jarvisburg, NC
"All the 59's (and many other years) used various hardwoods from their local regions."

I am always interested in seeing new documentation, especially 60-72.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 46 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE
If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.

#1208655 - Wed Mar 15 2017 02:47 AM Re: Wood Bed [Re: tclederman]  
GWWirth  Offline
Shop Shark
WA, Near Portland, OR
I used beech. Closed grain and stained it black. Very hard wood. If your truck will be anything but a show truck no clear finish will last outside.

#1211092 - Sat Apr 01 2017 02:23 AM Re: Wood Bed [Re: Tobztub59]  
Mike B  Offline
Shop Shark
Hughesville, MD
I painted my new Oak floor with POR-15 black and their Black Top Coat two years ago and so far, so good (she is garage kept)...

Mike B smile

#1214745 - Wed Apr 26 2017 02:23 AM Re: Wood Bed [Re: Tobztub59]  
Old 'Burb Lover  Offline
Shop Shark
Calgary Alberta
Not tryin to get off-topic with a stupid question, but has anyone ever tried "engineered hardwood flooring" over top of plywood in a truck box?

It comes in many shades and I think it looks good; and if its "kitchen rated" it should be tough enough for anything you might load on it.

I searched on SBP but nothing came up.

"People sleep easy in their beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage, or working class flat, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares end up plowing for those who kept their swords."
- Benjamin Franklin

#1214746 - Wed Apr 26 2017 02:41 AM Re: Wood Bed [Re: Old 'Burb Lover]  
Wayne67vert  Offline
Shop Shark
Seminole County, FL
Originally Posted By Old 'Burb Lover
Not tryin to get off-topic with a stupid question, but has anyone ever tried "engineered hardwood flooring" over top of plywood in a truck box?

It comes in many shades and I think it looks good; and if its "kitchen rated" it should be tough enough for anything you might load on it.

I searched on SBP but nothing came up.

I've installed thousands of square feet of this stuff.
The issue would be if it gets wet like a soaking rain storm. The engineered wood is not friendly with water. Extra precautions are needed when installing in a kitchen.
I don't think you could make it totally water proof.

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com

#1214983 - Thu Apr 27 2017 05:33 PM Re: Wood Bed [Re: Wayne67vert]  
Old 'Burb Lover  Offline
Shop Shark
Calgary Alberta
Thanks Wayne, I never thought of that.

"People sleep easy in their beds because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage, or working class flat, is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."
- George Orwell

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares end up plowing for those who kept their swords."
- Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop