The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
23 members (3100Cummins, Green_98, DaveV, Fred Jones Jr, greenie-reddy, arustycars639, 2 invisible), 129 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,493
Posts965,751
Members43,684
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
snow chains - newbee needs advice
#1204114 Mon Feb 13 2017 08:24 AM
D
Drmike Offline OP
Shop Shark
hi guys, i discovered the hard way that the firestone white walls on my truck render it undrivable around my new place. tyres just spin on the smallest hint of snow/ice.

most folks around here seem to be using snow chains.

ive never used them before so seeking a bit of advice.

has anyone used snow chains on the AD truck? any fitment/clearance issues? any recommended make? (stock 49 3100) any advice appreciated.

cheers

Last edited by Drmike; Mon Feb 13 2017 08:26 AM.
Re: snow chains - newbee needs advice
Drmike #1204124 Mon Feb 13 2017 01:26 PM
E
Shop Shark
While I never have driven an AD truck, I have used chains a lot. You want chains that fit your tires. There are a few types of cross chains. The V-bar get excellent traction on ice, but are murder on pavement and just dig deeper in mud. The plain cross chains are best for all-around use. They will work in snow or mud and won't tear up the road too badly.
My advice is to find out where folks in your area buy theirs and go there. The fenders on your truck should have plenty of room for clearance, just buy chains sized for your tires.

Drmike #1204125 Mon Feb 13 2017 01:26 PM
ODSS President
You buy them for your tire size so it's plug and play. Disclaimer: I have radials. I have a set of cable chains that I have used, easy to put on/take off. There are a host of questions to ask like: How far is your commute? What speeds will you be driving? Does the climate merit snow tires for the winter? Does the community lay down salt, brine or sand?

Snow tires on all four corners is recommended. Letting some air out of your tires will give you a larger contact patch with the pavement.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rozinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
Drmike #1204127 Mon Feb 13 2017 01:40 PM
E
Shop Shark
One needs to add additional weight to the rear of the truck, chains or not, get a 2 x board that fits across the bed to hold your weights behind the rear axle, 500 lbs. would be great.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
EdPruss #1204128 Mon Feb 13 2017 01:47 PM
ODSS President
Originally Posted by EdPruss
One needs to add additional weight to the rear of the truck, chains or not, get a 2 x board that fits across the bed to hold your weights behind the rear axle, 500 lbs. would be great.

Ed

If you mean add weight just behind the cab in the middle of the truck, yes, if not, Ed, your advice is very wrong.

Cosmo

"...my good horse Rozinante ('49 Chevy Half Ton), mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes

Drmike #1204163 Mon Feb 13 2017 07:03 PM
E
Shop Shark
Cosmo,

I do not agree with you.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Drmike #1204185 Mon Feb 13 2017 09:46 PM
G
Both sides of this disagreement aren't clear to me, perhaps not to others either.

Y'all tell me if my guesstimation is correct.

Ed prefers weight at the tailgate of the pickup, in which case that weight is more effective on the rear tires by lifting the front a little, more weight transfer to the rear a little less weight on the front tires.

Cosmo says put the weight at the front of the bed by the cab, or perhaps at least over the rear axle? This helps the rear wheels and will add weight to the front wheels if ahead of the rear axle.

Cosmo is concerned about loss of steering ability with the lighter front?
Ed understands that but in his experience there's already enough weight on the front for steering, enjoys even better grip at the rear?

I've seen it both ways, personally I put the weight at the tailgate and have had good success. I suppose if the front seemed extra squirmy I'd rethink.

Grigg

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Drmike #1204186 Mon Feb 13 2017 09:46 PM
W
Master Gabster
The further back the weight is in the bed the better the traction. It will make it handle a bit weird but small sacrifice for traction. Back in the 50's when we got stuck we put the tailgate down & had a buddy or 2 sit on it. Pull right out.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Drmike #1204197 Mon Feb 13 2017 11:03 PM
C
Shop Shark
I used to have an extra set of wheels and tires for chains only. Would let nearly all the air out of the tires, install chains tight on the soft tires and then air up. Made it so chains had zero slop.

Evan
Drmike #1204213 Tue Feb 14 2017 12:58 AM
ODSS President
Did a quick search as we all did regarding traction, all the sources say do not place weight behind the rear wheels, most say place weight over the rear wheels, I found one that said distribute evenly in the bed of the truck.

My 'center of the truck' came from driver's ed. in upstate New York. There was a film or two that was shown where weight was placed in a cars trunk, on a slippery curve the car literally spun, the center of the car being the axis of rotation. The weight was then placed behind the driver in the center of the vehicle and on the same slippery turn the car did not spin.

Cosmo

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop