The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (55 SHAKER, DougH6100, DennisM, Hotrod Lincoln, 68ironhead, 2 invisible), 204 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,613
Posts966,835
Members43,722
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Radiator Support
#119292 Thu Jan 26 2006 10:06 PM
N
Shop Shark
(Okay, if the subject was "aligning front body parts" no one would respond to the continuing and no one good answer subject.)

I am still trying to align all of the body parts that come together at the driver's full cowl panel that I am replacing on my '50 3100. That is to say: hood, fender, cowl, door, etc. (Plus having to cut and weld in the original side vent.) I am darn close, but my best fit seems to be if the radiator support is shimmed up over a full inch. Can this be right? The original shims were sheet metal thick, not blocks. Has anyone had to do this much in the way of shims?

In answer to the anticipated questions, this is off frame resto. Everything repaired or new. Cab to manual spec's as to shimming cab mounts.

The other question I have is to the fender adjusting rods, (firewall to fender.) The manual says to set the length of these rods at a measured set amount. The manual does not mention adjusting them any different in aligning body parts. Again is this right? I assume they are to be adjusted to what distance works for the simple fact that they are adjustable. Maybe a dumb question, but I have to ask.

Thanks in advance,
Steve O

1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert
Re: Radiator Support
#119293 Thu Jan 26 2006 10:38 PM
C
Shop Shark
You have discovered what I found to be the most difficult part of an Advance Design resto. Nobody's going to see how much shim you have under the rad support but a poor fit around the cowl,hood and fenders will surely be noticed. A little more shim under the rear cab mounts will help tip it forward a little bit and reduce what you need under the rad support. Do a search for hood alignment and there is a step by step page that has been posted many times. If you're happy with the fit across the cowl and hood sides then you can start moving the fenders around. The rod distance in the manual is only a starting point. I started over at least 6 times and I'm still not 100% happy. Worn hood hinges/springs can really foul it up too. Good luck.

1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod

Photobucket

You Tube

#119294 Fri Jan 27 2006 12:38 PM
C
Shop Shark
Mine has ~1" of shim under the rad support. It was that way when I took it apart so I put it back the same way.

#119295 Fri Jan 27 2006 01:59 PM
D
Shop Shark
I remember working on Chevy cars and trucks in the late 70's and a stack of shims were a bodymans best friend.It was amazing how many shims they used to build these vehicles.

The crew that works on the \'42 --Sara, Hannah and Abby [stovebolt.com]
#119296 Mon Jan 30 2006 01:04 AM
B
This is a good topic, I'm about to get to this stage of the game on a 49 I'm restoring for a customer, surely not looking forward to it!

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop