The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (DJMTruck, Harold41, Johnny N, 49nut, 2ManyTrucks, Harold46), 120 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,773
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Epoxy Primer
#118766 Thu Dec 08 2005 08:11 PM
R
What is the best and most economical brand epoxy primer and are there any good online sources?

Re: Epoxy Primer
#118767 Fri Dec 09 2005 01:10 AM
P
Shop Shark
Ever heard of the term oxymoron? It's when two contradicting terms are used in the same sentence to describe the same thing, i.e. jumbo-shrimp, cruel-kindness, best-most economical epoxy primer... grin Not much economical about epoxy primer. I use PPG and have always had good results, but it's not cheap.

Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
#118768 Fri Dec 09 2005 01:15 AM
H
Shop Shark
A good primer sealer like Dupont DP-90 will actually seal against weather, and is one of the best you can buy, but it'll cost a few hundred bucks a gallon. Worth every penny too.

I'd suggest a primer surfacer to start, which you can block sand to help find low spots. Then you can either paint over that, or if it's going to be awhile, you could prime it with the DP-90, which is an excellent product and will buy you some time before you have to paint.

For example, if you're straightening the body panel by panel, then DP-90 would be good to use. That gives you time to work on the rest of the truck until the whole thing is ready for paint.

52 GMC 3/4 ton pickup
68 Big Block Vette
68 455 Firebird
#118769 Fri Dec 09 2005 01:35 AM
B
Hot Rod daddy,

PPG make DP which is now called DPLF, dupont makes another more radical Epoxy, really designed for heavy gage steel!

Remember epoxy is a sealer type primer meaning it's not meant to be put on heavy, two medium wet coats is about all that should be used! They don't call for reducer but I reccomend about 5-10 percent.

#118770 Fri Dec 09 2005 01:44 AM
B
PPG OMNI system makes a less expensive epoxy, but if you plan on using epoxy why skimp, use the good stuff or don't use anything, it's not necasary to use it to come out with a good job, i use it mostly to get me out of bare metal time and i do my bodywork over it, it really has good adhesion if I want to leave body work open because i ran short on time or something i put a lite coat over it and it helps to stop the absorbtion of mosture, but you can bust thru it and use it like a guide coat! One other thing it will last a good two days all mixed up so you can save it for another use if you mix to much!

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop