The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Bolter Finally, DennisM, Bob Kirk, DJMTruck, Bluesky54, 5 Window 9434), 133 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,615
Posts1,005,768
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Vehicle lettering
#118622 Sun Dec 04 2005 03:49 PM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Keith, hand lettering is an art form and no "vinyl job" can reproduce it. I encourage you to try it! If you have not removed the old lettering, take clear digital photos and accurate measurements. A pounce pattern is not difficult. If you send me the photos and the measurements, I'll make the patterns for you. One-Shot is the paint to use, you can use directly from the can, but I like to thin a small amount with mineral spirits. Use QUALITY brushes and quills, they will be the most expensive part of the project. I use scotch tape as a masking for straight lines. Many make the mistake of watching the brush as you lay down the paint. Look an inch beyond the brush at your pounce marks and let the brush flow. If you go outside the line a bit, that's ok! The "allure" of hand lettering is the brush strokes and minor imperfections. By time you finish your truck, you'll feel confident enough to do someone else's truck. If you make a major mistake, a little mineral spirits will clean up quite easily. Feel free to private message me with any other questions.

Andy

A man is like an old truck... He will rust out before he wears out...
#118623 Sun Dec 04 2005 06:39 PM
V
Shop Shark
I've got to get the old fire truck(see below) lettered too. It seems it was painted with Gold and Black color paint(not gold leaf). Is there a trick to doing a 50's style lettering job? I like the idea of a hand painted sign expert but what does something like that cost? I've got no artistic talent...

[img]http://www.iaffl2924.com/1951originalview.jpg[/img]

#118624 Sun Dec 04 2005 06:51 PM
B
Shop Shark
Pakrat, graphics is what my wife does for a living and she has done many old trucks. She does both hand lettering and vinyl. I fact, she used to work at the Graffix Shoppe that 46 in progress mentioned. She would be glad to answer any questions if you want to do it yourself.

I think you could find someone to hand letter it in your area if you want. Find someone that used to race at Jackson and ask them who was (or is) hand lettering race cars yet. I'm sure there's someone in your area.

#118625 Sun Dec 04 2005 06:57 PM
W
If you folks would like to take a vacation to Kansas I am sure that I can line you up with an expert sign painter.

The painter I refer to has been the official sign painter for the Kansas State Fair for a long, long time. He is known as Bardo the Clown.

http://www.laafs.com/LaafDealerSpotlight.htm

Word hard, play harder, enjoy life!
#118626 Sun Dec 04 2005 09:04 PM
B
Might be good to indicate where your at, someone might be able to point you in the right direction! Central fl. or the area give me a e-mail, I can help you!

Mark
bodiman@bellsouth.net

#118627 Mon Dec 05 2005 04:29 AM
P
Shop Shark
Wow, thanks for all the responses.
Barry, there is a guy right here in town who races sprint cars, and as it turns out he has his cars' lettering done in Jackson. :rolleyes: Some times things are right under your nose. I'll check into that a little deeper.

Now I've almost got myself psyched up to do it myself. If I decide to go that way, Andy, I'll definatly get in touch w/you. When the lettering was in a little better shape a few years ago, I outlined everything in white chalk and took some photos.

46, I checked out Grafix Shoppe's web-site, looks like they do some pretty cool stuff. Maybe a little more "high tech" than what I'm after though. smile

Keith
If it were easy they'd have grade schoolers doing it!
#118628 Mon Dec 05 2005 05:49 PM
B
I'm an old signpainter..and I would hire a pro..as there's nothing as bad as a poorly finished sign. Vinyl isn't the answer as you know already..and brushes (quills) can cost ya..
Gary Ind. One Shot colors are great. I'm not even going to do my own pinstripe work on my 36 half ton! Good luck finding a guy who knows how to letter.

bruce duykers
#118629 Mon Dec 05 2005 09:57 PM
V
Shop Shark
Yep...just as I thought, this is going to be expensive. A fire truck without lettering is not finished.

#118630 Mon Dec 05 2005 10:39 PM
B
Also..check with that compant perhaps they still have photos of trucks with better lettering on them..colors are important to be correct also..and the dropshade (or shadow) can be the real showstopper...as you or someone can, do an outline (thin) and then dropshade in a darker color depending on the letter color itself.
**** Blick art supplies has some pretty good brushes for big work. Good luck. BD.

bruce duykers
#118631 Fri Dec 09 2005 03:09 PM
L
Shop Shark
VAFireTruck.... Go to your local fire departments (especially in rural areas) and ask them who does their trucks. Often times there's a firefighter who does it on the side. And I'd be willing to bet that a good signpainter who does firetrucks would cut you a deal just because it's an old truck.

Larry Bear

55.5 Chevy 3100 Panel
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop