The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 registered members (3B, five-oh, bowtietim, Harold46, bluesman, Drew54), 382 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,442
Posts926,224
Members42,439
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Shifter for Chevy Version of A833 #1182261 Mon Sep 12 2016 06:03 PM
R
Roadmarks Offline OP
Shop Shark
Howdy, I recently was given an A833 Chevy/Chrysler tranny complete, clutch, bellhousing, flywheel, transmission all from a 1986 C-10. I did NOT get the HURST shifter, and that seems to be the problem. It appears from what research I have done, that I need the original shifter, too, and nothing else will fit. The package I have was replaced by a short tailed TH350 because the truck owner's wife couldn't drive the stick! The shifters I have found for sale go for $300 up to over $2000!??? Does ANYONE have any further info on the necessary shifter/ installatiion, and or ANYTHING that might be a help? Custom HURST shifters are new to me. To add here, there is NO question that the bellhousing is a GM pattern and drilled for the SBC/late L-6, and the tranny is the Chevy pattern as well with a Chevy output. This was a factory set-up from '80 - '88!

Thanks for your help! I seem to be running in circles here. Les

Re: Shifter for Chevy Version of A833 [Re: Roadmarks] #1182435 Tue Sep 13 2016 06:06 PM
J
jfnar Offline
Shop Shark
I have two of those transmissions and am in the process of getting one of them ready to go into a '68 gmc. The shifter seems to be the biggest headache with these transmissions. GM had at least two different shifters; the truck shifter is very close to the center of the transmission, the van shifter is offset about 6 or 7 inches to the left. Both are Hurst. The second transmission I bought came with a Hurst Competition Plus shifter that was supposedly in the same truck. It has home made linkage rods. So far I have not been able to get it to work but it could just be worn out. I've read on other sites that the Competition Plus shifter can be made to work but you may have to make a mounting plate and customize the rods. I think the key there would be to know which way the shifter levers have to move for each gear. From what I've seen, all these shifters are expensive and the truck shifters seem to be made of Unobtainium, but if you got the transmission and other goodies for free you won't be hurt too bad if you can just find one. They come up on Ebay from time to time. One other thing you need to be aware of is that the output shaft has finer splines than the older transmissions. I think it's 27. Good luck with it.

Last edited by jfnar; Tue Sep 13 2016 09:06 PM.

'64 swb stepside (gone)
'57 1 ton
'53 phone truck
'59 swb
'46 1 1/2 ton
'68 swb gmc
Re: Shifter for Chevy Version of A833 [Re: Roadmarks] #1183892 Fri Sep 23 2016 06:50 PM
R
Roadmarks Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks jfnar! Anyone else?

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop