The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (53 green 1- ton, 87GN, jmoore, Bill Trotter, AwDang, bigedpa), 238 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,090
Posts961,824
Members43,554
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lead addative fuel
#1182811 Thu Sep 15 2016 09:25 PM
W
wodniw5 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Are any of you using a lead addative in your gas?
I have a 1951 halfton with a 1955 235 engine
Any benefits and if so whT are you using
Paul

Re: Lead addative fuel
wodniw5 #1182824 Thu Sep 15 2016 10:48 PM
ace skiver
Paul,

No lead additives in my trucks.

The major benefit if you have a low-compression stove bolt engine is the profit earned by the seller of the additive.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
wodniw5 #1182829 Thu Sep 15 2016 11:16 PM
H
Boltergeist
Yep- - - -P.T. Barnum is in the gas additive business these days! If you want to add a little Diesel fuel to the gas for valve guide lubrication and about a 5-point octane boost, 1 gallon of Diesel to 19 gallons of gas is the ratio we used to use on the round track cars. Most "octane boosters" are just very lightweight oil that increases the specific gravity of the fuel and slows down the burn rate a bit. "Lead substitutes" do nothing but suck money out of your pocket.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
wodniw5 #1182866 Fri Sep 16 2016 06:34 AM
W
Shop Shark
The Gunk lead addtive and Marvel Mysterry oil is a good combo. Why not, cheap enough and does no harm. Stay away from any product which contains alcohol. I've written to Vavoline and Gunk they responded with good scientific evidence. Marvel had been around forever and a couple of ounces in your gas adds lubricty to ethanol infused gasoline. I guess it's all personal preference.

wodniw5 #1182898 Fri Sep 16 2016 03:38 PM
S
Wrench Fetcher
My gripe about lead free gas is valve guide and seat wear. I have a '68 Norton Ranger that I'm planning to put on the road soon and I have concerns about 10% ethanol added unleaded fuel eating the guides and seats, not to mentionwhatever it does to the seals, etc. in the carbs. The 'Burb has mid-80's 292 originally made for unleaded gas and the Sportster has had hardened valve seats installed so that's not a concern for them.

Does anybody know about using 1 tbsp or kerosene/gal as an octane booster and lubricant, like the post above using diesel?

wodniw5 #1182906 Fri Sep 16 2016 04:49 PM
H
Boltergeist
#1 Diesel is nothing but kerosene. It's considerably more volatile than #2, but a tablespoon per gallon is a ridiculously small concentration. Numerous dyno tests we ran back in the mid-1990's put the necessary concentration at 5% by volume- - - -1 gallon of Diesel per 20 gallons of fuel mix.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
wodniw5 #1182911 Fri Sep 16 2016 05:26 PM
D
Shop Shark
I can't provide any scientific support, but I have been adding lead additive to the tank of my 54 3100 with the original 235 engine and I can tell the difference. No change in performance, but I can tell you it quiets the engine down. I have engine knocking at start up and certain stages of acceleration running through the gears getting to cruising speed. The knocking is predominately more noticeable and more frequent without the additive. For 2-3 dollars a tank full, I will keep adding it. For those of you old enough to remember the gas commercials before unleaded gas, I can't remember which gas company but one of them would promote their anti-knock formula as a reason to buy their gasoline. Here is a link to the history of gasoline and they talk about lead as an anti-knock additive.

http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/pages/knock.html

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
wodniw5 #1182915 Fri Sep 16 2016 06:13 PM
W
Shop Shark
Dave you are right on...I use premium gas and additives and the 235 runs much better. Octane is a rating of several hundreds of chemical that make up gasoline. Octane is just a word to describe the mixture of said chemicals it's not a substance. A cup of good coffee is 5 bucks so a few bucks towards the health of the 235 is a no brainier. "The cheapskate will always pay more in the end". That's a fact.

wodniw5 #1182919 Fri Sep 16 2016 06:25 PM
V
Shop Shark
Bob Hope was that gasoline commercial pitchman. "Knockout the knocks" he would say while wearing huge boxing gloves. Bob Hope will always be OK in my book.
re. which gas was it? Either Shell or Sunoco, danged if I recall which. LOL

re. OP, I used to use a cap full of MMO mixed in with a gal of gas in my old Wheel Horse Lawn and Garden tractors powered by K181 Kohlers until I tore one down and found a tar like black gunk on top of the piston and around the valve guides. Decided to stop and didn't see that gunk again. There was carbon buildup but no tar.

wodniw5 #1182939 Fri Sep 16 2016 10:46 PM
Master Gabster
Your '51 was designed to run on 83 octane so running modern 87 is already providing an octane boost. I'm with Jerry on this one. Lead additive in a stock 235 that's operated within normal limits (not worked hard for extended periods & with stock valve springs) is unnecessary. If it makes you feel better, use it. Is it necessary? No. I've put many tens of thousands of miles on pre-unleaded engines using unleaded gas and have never had an issue.

Last edited by Tiny; Fri Sep 16 2016 10:51 PM.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop