The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (ASU, D$TROYER, Fox, coilover, KEVINSKI, 1 invisible), 107 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,066
Posts1,018,874
Members45,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Question about Oil Bath Air Cleaners
#1173853 Thu Jul 14 2016 03:58 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hi guys,
I have my air cleaners converted to just a dry filter and they work OK.. I want to refurb them and change the filter element with one that does not need to sit on the fiber insert which is just there to take up space...never seems to line up right when installed.

The new element I found will sit just on the bottom of the bowl w/o the riser, and the top comes down to about 1+ inch of the top of the bowl... Confused yet?

My question is: How much room need I allow between the lid and the bowl for enough air flow to reach the carbs..?

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Re: Question about Oil Bath Air Cleaners
Dogface #1173868 Thu Jul 14 2016 06:40 PM
M
Shop Shark
It depends I reckon - is the engine just going to sit on display and idle all day or are those 'carbs' situated on top of a 6-71 blower and a tricked-out 6 banger capable of 11k launches?

I'd say you probably need to allow at least a 3/4" gap all the way around - an inch wouldn't hurt.

1950 4100 - unrestored and driven weekly for almost no reason at all.
Dogface #1173872 Thu Jul 14 2016 07:23 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Well, no...not a blown 49 3100, or tricked out six, but is a daily driver. I can make it an inch or so...no problem.. Thanks for your reply

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
Dogface #1173878 Thu Jul 14 2016 07:45 PM
P
'Bolter
I'm not sure if this will help but when I saw "Oil Bath Cleaner," I remember that we had done a Tech Tip not that long ago.

Maybe this will give you some help or you can at least follow the link where it was discussed.

Peggy M

The first five days after the weekend are the hardest.
Dogface #1173879 Thu Jul 14 2016 07:46 PM
Bubba
The oil bath air cleaners had no more than an inch clearance around the non-breathing filter-element housing, which sucked air up through a smaller surface area at the bottom of the filter element.

You will be OK with an inch all around.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Dogface #1173886 Thu Jul 14 2016 08:33 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Peggy

Thanks for that link. I found a filter element at Reibies..NAPA Gold Filter 2221 which is 4" tall and provides only about 1/4" air flow space between lid and bowl. I will either put a spacer of 1" or so on the bottom or top of the lid to creat at least 1" of air flow space.. The NAPA filter was only $15 or so and is washable...

My plan is to have the metal parts powder coated likely a silver darker than chrome...or maybe just stock black plus the decal...

I'm running dual two bbl progessive webers and with new valves and seats it runs really well. Thanks also for all your help, Tim.

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Dogface #1173889 Thu Jul 14 2016 09:45 PM
M
Shop Shark
The Tech Tip that Marc submitted is a GREAT one! I followed his instructions, but made a couple slight changes because I didn't have the foam that he used. I used the same model oil bath air cleaner that Marc used in the Tech Tip.

I cut out all of the insides of the top instead of leaving the upper star and the inner cylinder. Easy to do with tin snips, then grind down the nubs with a die grinder.

I cut 1 1/8" off the bottom edge of the top with an angle grinder. This allows more air flow (increased to about 2 1/8" from 1"), but leaves enough metal on the sides of top so that the dry air cleaner is not exposed to retain a stock look. This step also eliminates the roughly 1/2" lip on the inside bottom edge of the top to allow the air filter to fit inside.

I used a K&N E-9216 filter. It is a little taller (4.449") than the one Marc used. It fits perfectly into the modified top and seals against the top and the bottom, so no need for foam. When assembled, it looks completely stock.

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/ma...1998_zps9azd4n9e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/ma...1999_zpsecs1pxjq.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/ma...2002_zpsdqh22svz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

http://s844.photobucket.com/user/ma...2003_zpscnfeltoz.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

A big THANKS to Marc for the Tech Tip,

Matt

Last edited by Maybellene; Fri Jul 15 2016 01:16 AM.
Dogface #1173891 Thu Jul 14 2016 09:58 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Guess I should have sprung for the KN as they are nearly 1/2" taller and I wouldn't need a spacer...drat wink Could not load your pics Matt...Just my finicky machine I'm sure..

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Dogface #1176024 Fri Jul 29 2016 09:43 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Got the parts back from powder coater yesterday...they look great. Since I have that taller filter element I only needed a slight bit of a spacer to raise the tops up to a level where enough air gets thru. Bought a 5" I.D. PVC pipe coupler from Home Depot and my buddy with a band saw sliced off some 1/4" pieces to raise it up to where I have 3/4" between top and bowl..Should work well. Decals ordered from Chev. of the 40's..

Will put these pic on Photobucket in a bit...

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Maybellene #1176026 Fri Jul 29 2016 09:46 PM
D
Dogface Offline OP
Shop Shark
Just was able to open your pics...Looks very nice ! Good work..;)

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop