The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
2 registered members (D$TROYER, 1 invisible), 230 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,443
Posts926,239
Members42,439
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan CHAPTER 3!!! #1174761 Wed Jul 20 2016 06:57 PM
SWEET Offline OP
ODSS Lawman
I am fortunate enough to still be able to spend time with my maternal grandmother, Nan-Nan as I've always called her. She is one of the most influential persons to me both now and when I was a kid.

Thankfully at a young 87 years of age, she still lives by herself, drives herself, and enjoys life. We moved her closer to my parents 3 years ago when my grandfather passed away.

Before then, I used to drive the GreenMachine up to SW PA to their local Alum Bank car show. This is a show put on by the local fire company and is a big draw for folks all around. For a small town, it creates quite a large show.

A few weeks ago I got the idea of taking Nan-Nan with me back to the show so she could spend some time with some of her old friends she has not seen for a while.

Before talking with Nan-Nan, I thought I would run the idea past my mom. I received the "Are you crazy?" look from her when I told her my idea. She didn't think it was a good idea but suggested I ask my grandmother and see what she says.

The next weekend at our family dinner I suggest my idea to Nan-Nan. She was all for it. Even the riding in the old truck part. I could see that she was excited about the possibility of the trip.

It is well documented on this site the amount of driving I do each year in my truck. But getting ready for a 400 mile trip with your 87 year old grandmother requires extra preparation. I will admit, I was nervous about the trip. I can hear my mom yelling at me in my head if I ever had to call her with an issue.

The weekend was finally here and I picked Nan-Nan up at 8 am. We took US 50 to Winchester and the whole time she talked about how much fun she was having. We got onto the interstate and just kept chatting. Before I knew it, we were back in her old hometown.

She found her friends and surprised them all since she didn't mention that she was coming!

The whole ride up she was amazed at the amount of thumbs-up, horn honks, and smiles the old truck creates. She was impressed how people would come over at a gas station to share a story about their past and the memories a truck like mine created.

At the end of the show we won two awards, we placed third place in the production truck category and we also won the award I went for, furthest driven.

I had her proudly pose in front of the truck with our new hardware before we prepared to head home. We decided to stay the night and head back in the morning. That way we could go to dinner and ice cream at her favorite local places.

The next morning we drove back without incident. Chatting the entire way. I really enjoyed the trip we made, and I am sure she will tell everyone about it, and our winnings like she did to anyone that would listen on our way home.

In the end, we did just under 400 miles. The weather was perfect and she enjoyed the time she spent with her old friends, and her awesome grandson with the cool truck.

Yes, I too enjoyed driving the truck. But its the weekend with my Nan-Nan that I will never forget.

SWEET
Sergeant At Arms
Old Dominion Stovebolt Society

BUNS?!?!?! Where we're going, we don't need no buns.....

1950 GMC 450 (25% owner)
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1174764 Wed Jul 20 2016 07:39 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
Nice write-up, Chris

You and Nan-Nan are lucky to have each other.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1174768 Wed Jul 20 2016 07:56 PM
A
AWinLex Offline
Shop Shark
Wow, how special!!!
Cool writeup.

Alec
51 Chevy 3100
Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1174816 Thu Jul 21 2016 03:25 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Just plain Awesome Chris. Memories will serve each of us very well. Way to go.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1175149 Sat Jul 23 2016 05:39 PM
SWEET Offline OP
ODSS Lawman
Finally got the photos done.....

Roadtrip Photos....

SWEET
Sergeant At Arms

1950 GMC 450 (25% owner)
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1175164 Sat Jul 23 2016 08:59 PM
Peggy M Offline
Worker Bee
Wow, that's really cool. And the pictures are great. Some neat stuff at this show!

Oh yea, driving in the Green Machine is a sweet ride, even for this "old lady." grin

Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1175167 Sat Jul 23 2016 09:31 PM
T
TPR57C Offline
Shop Shark
Hi Sweet that would of been a priceless weekend for you and your Nan a and you will be glad you made the effort she might want to drive to the next show

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1175170 Sat Jul 23 2016 09:39 PM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
great pix, man, I hope I look that great when I reach your Nana's age, there may still be hope for me now at 75, by the way Mr. Sweet, you look younger in this pix then you did in the last group I saw, I cant find it but it was the link with your group just before home coming, at least I think so and you were wearing a hat?? the link where someone had to go back and Id you all on the pix...

I may have you mixed up with someone else.. thanks for the pic

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1175182 Sat Jul 23 2016 10:40 PM
SWEET Offline OP
ODSS Lawman
Tim, I would have let her drive! Problem is she never learned to drive a manual transmission.

Joker, I think you're thinking of the Tidewater trip we did in the spring. I think I did have a hat on.

SWEET
Sergeant At Arms

1950 GMC 450 (25% owner)
1951 Chevy 1/2-Ton
The GreenMachine
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Re: A Roadtrip with Nan-Nan [Re: SWEET] #1175217 Sun Jul 24 2016 02:16 AM
joker Offline
Moderator, Passing Lane
found it, no hat

to me it dont look like the same guy if your number six in the pix..but you know you.. hard to keep up some pix, you have a guy in your command that does the photo shot deal really well, I wont mention any names though. he can pop up anytime and any where

it was in March, boy those months went by fast..

Last edited by joker; Sun Jul 24 2016 02:20 AM.

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  fixit1958 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop