The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (DennisM, Huckleberry, Flatblu4748, archburycontrol, Justhorsenround, 1 invisible), 201 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics118,888
Posts951,603
Members43,287
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hey Canada and those close by
joker #1174497 Mon Jul 18 2016 07:57 PM
S
Shop Shark
Was down in NS a few weeks ago. Halifax to Shelburne and points between. Have a couple of friends in Shelburne as well as relatives in Halifax. I liked Shelburne. Very quiet and a lot of history. It would seem the further south from Halifax the less expensive property is.
Didn't see a chip truck but saw one selling Haddock, Cod Cheeks, Fish Cakes, Scallops, Jumbo Shrimp, Salt Cod and Cod Tongues.

joker #1174577 Tue Jul 19 2016 03:12 AM
M
Shop Shark
South shore is pretty $$$, eastern shore is better deal and just as scenic if not more so.

mapleleaf #1174599 Tue Jul 19 2016 09:47 AM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by mapleleaf
Also doesn't hurt to have on the island the best new golf course in North America according to Golf Digest.

That stands to reason when you consider we Jocks have the finest golf links in the UK on our side of the great divide such as Prestwick,Troon and 'Trumpberry' etc,we were virtually next door neighbours many millions of years ago. grin

The topography of the areas are very similar.

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
joker #1174612 Tue Jul 19 2016 01:53 PM
M
Shop Shark
Jock..we are New Scotland after all....lots of Scottish traditions remain here..Gaelic is actually on the rebound...and the highlands of Cape Breton are a lot like the old country for sure. Sheep abound.

and I, like the old man, am as cheap as heck....LOL

joker #1174633 Tue Jul 19 2016 04:39 PM
Shop Shark
That's a cool truck Joker!

1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
joker #1174646 Tue Jul 19 2016 07:45 PM
joker Offline OP
Moderator, Passing Lane
thanks 46, I have an idea. we could use your neat 46 and
modify this for a chip trailer

now that would be cool,eh

Redryder

My Hotrod

I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

joker #1174715 Wed Jul 20 2016 07:32 AM
J
Shop Shark
Had the worst food poisoning I can ever remember from "Traditional English Fish 'n' chips" I had on a vacation to Canada.
As I bit into the fish it all but slid out from the batter.

It certainly put quite a damper on my trip to Niagara Falls if you catch my drift. eeeek

The Pepto Bismol was pretty gross too. grin

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
joker #1174746 Wed Jul 20 2016 03:31 PM
M
Shop Shark
Jock I can count on my fingers the number of times I had great fish and chips..and that is from someone living by the sea. It gets worse in other areas.

Generally, I do not eat fish outside of NS - I still can't get my head around a server in Ontario telling me the fish is "fresh frozen" - that is a complete oxymoron. My local fish seller here only sells it to me when it is very fresh (usually caught that morning) and won't even bother me if it is even a tad old.

You can get good fish and chips here in NS but you have to know where to look. The best I ever had was a small tavern in the Eastern Shore that is now closed. The haddock had not been out of the water for more than a few hours and the fries were hand cut PEI spuds - the best in the world IMO and Stompin' Toms'. The oil had just been changed and the cook knew what she was doing. Eating the fish was like eating candy..that and an icy Keith's brew and I was in heaven..

joker #1174933 Fri Jul 22 2016 01:02 AM
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by joker
thanks 46, I have an idea. we could use your neat 46 and
modify this for a chip trailer

now that would be cool,eh

Cool idea Joker. I have been thinking about building a little teardrop for behind the 46. I want to sleep in it though wink

1946 GMC Pickup - S-10 Frame, 455 Buick, TH400, original patina.

My 46 GMC on Photobucket
mapleleaf #1175022 Fri Jul 22 2016 04:08 PM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by mapleleaf
Jock I can count on my fingers the number of times I had great fish and chips..and that is from someone living by the sea. It gets worse in other areas.

I know what you mean,we in Scotland have some of the finest seafood in the world,yet we export the vast percentage to Europe!
By far the finest fresh fish i've ever tasted was line caught (by me) on vacation on the Isle of Skye,straight from the sea to the pan in less than an hour,a whopping big Pollack fillet,it was delicious!
The scallops and langoustines are beyond compare too imo.
(I DO admit a slight bias of course) grin

My first ever job was working on the fish,the really early starts were a killer for a teenager but the money was good!

The one thing to remember when buying fish (as i'm sure you know) is....fresh fish shouldn't smell of fish!

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop