The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Nothing new here ...

STOVEBOLT FEVER

There is no cure!

Thanks to all of you, we have been virtual for over 25 years.

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (Jeff Rippin, agedhorse, Rusty Shackleford, KCMongo, 593ETow, 1 invisible), 48 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics117,767
Posts942,298
Members43,039
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Zeroing temp gauge to sender
Formula1 #330595 Tue Oct 30 2007 05:20 PM
Shop Shark
Well, I just purchased a NOS AC Service parts GMC gauge part number 1511960 from a supplier in Canada. 100-220 degree range. I'm looking at the back of it now in my hand and there are two areas where a small hex bolt head is covered with yellow paint. It looks like once the hex head is loosened, it allows you to slide the interior wire wound resistor coils approximately 1/32" either way from center. I believe that by doing this, you can adjust the range of the gauge to match the range of your sender. However, there are no markings to tell where you are. When I look at the wire wound resistor coil at the 220 degree end of the gauge, the hex screw is all the way to the left or to the outside rear of the gauge face. At the 100 degree end of the gauge, the hex head is about 1/64" away from the far right side of the rear of the gauge face. I would surmise that at the factory this is the way AC Service Parts "zeroed" or calibrated their gauges. In order to make your gauge work properly with the sender in your truck, I would guess that you would have to remove the gauge and sender, set up a test stand like I mentioned above, put the sender in water and heat the water to 100 degrees, zero the gauge, heat the water to 180 degrees, adjust the gauge and heat the water to 220 degrees and readjust the gauge. Lots of work but it looks like it can be done. A winter project if I want to try it for sure. I'm now trying to find an original GMC electrical sender from '49 to '52 or so. One contact told me that the same sender for GMC trucks was for either 6v or 12v gauges. Will let you know if and when I can find one.

Country Roads, West (By God) Virginia
http://community.webshots.com/user/geezer
Formula1 #345264 Thu Dec 06 2007 01:49 AM
F
Wrench Fetcher
Geezer,
I have not heard from you on this? Is it away for the winter? Sure would like to solve my sender/gage issue. Let me know..

Thanks

49 geezer #1158542 Tue Apr 05 2016 03:24 AM
B
Shop Shark
49 Geezer,
I hope you can remember how you solved your gauge problem because I have the same issue. My gauge moves slowly to about half way and then pegs full hot. Do you remember the solution to this problem?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop