The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 registered members (capnduane, HFfarms, Jay Self, TGP, 47bolter, moslice), 316 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,564
Posts930,587
Members42,658
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: Mike B] #1200988 Mon Jan 23 2017 01:18 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Mike B
Lugnutz,

What is the new garage going to be used for? Will it just be a mechanics shop or will you store stuff in it as well? Your 24x25 shop will get REAL small with a lift in there, putting it outside on a pad as others have mentioned will let you maximize your limited inside space.

Mike B smile

I sure wish I could build a bigger shop, but zoning will not allow for more than 600 SF.

The shop will be mainly used for storage. I'd also like a place to work and keep stuff out of the weather.

Stage one is to put the shop on the concrete pad.

Stage 2: I'll pour a second load of concrete outside the shop so I don't have to park or drive in the dirt as much. It will also give me an area to a floor jack or roll an engine hoist around if needed although I'd probably do that inside the shop too.

Stage 3: I'll mock up some wood to make a "fake lift" and see if the lift will be a practical addition.

However, PRIOR to Stage 1, I need to plan the floor of the shop (first pour) as though I were going to get a lift so that the concrete is properly reinforced where the lift will be.

Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: 2-Ton] #1200996 Mon Jan 23 2017 02:50 PM
G
Grigg Offline
Have you looked at Mohawk lifts yet? They are not tall and the limit on height is clearance with your lifted vehicle to the ceiling, not the lift it's self. they have a hydraulic line that needs to go from one side to the other, this can even be put in the floor, or made and bent to follow your ceiling.
http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/automotive-lifts/2-post-lifts/system1/

They're not cheap new but in my opinion look to be the most robust of the lift choices, and made in the USA, and can be found used pretty regularly at better prices if you have time to shop.

I've seen lifts outside and I think that's much less than ideal. If the weather is bad you're limited, if the project is long and weather comes you're out of luck again. The lift deteriorates in the weather too.
If a lift is important and you're building the new building with one in mind I'd sure put it inside, even if it cramps space a little at least you can use it on your schedule not dictated by weather or seasons.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: Grigg] #1200998 Mon Jan 23 2017 03:01 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Grigg
Have you looked at Mohawk lifts yet? They are not tall and the limit on height is clearance with your lifted vehicle to the ceiling, not the lift it's self. they have a hydraulic line that needs to go from one side to the other, this can even be put in the floor, or made and bent to follow your ceiling.
http://www.mohawklifts.com/wp/automotive-lifts/2-post-lifts/system1/

They're not cheap new but in my opinion look to be the most robust of the lift choices, and made in the USA, and can be found used pretty regularly at better prices if you have time to shop.

The Mohawk salesman sent me a quote. That Mohawk lift is really nice and built to last. The Mohawk lift would easily fit in my shop but NOT fit so easily in my budget. A new one is just a bit over $6200. I'd buy a used one if I could find one. I'll keep looking and maybe I will.

Just about all the clear floor 2 post lifts have an overhead bar. Some have a safety switch on the bar and some don't. Either way, most of them require 145" plus want an extra 2" for clearance. The Weaver lift in my earlier post is a few inches shorter but when lifted will still give me the 6 feet I need under the vehicle.

Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: 2-Ton] #1201105 Tue Jan 24 2017 02:29 AM
M
moparguy Offline
Shop Shark
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lift/Baseplate-2-Post-Lifts

Guy I know has the 10k (BP10000), it works with a low clearance ceiling he it lifts his 450 Ford truck with it and stores his Cobra on it.

The 9K version is pretty nice.

Didn't see that any of the Atlas BP units were certified.

Last edited by moparguy; Tue Jan 24 2017 02:42 AM.

1951 3600 with Clark flatbed, T5, 4.10 rear
1970 340 Duster
1990 5.0 V8 Miata (1990 Mustang Gt Drivetrain)
1951 Farmall Super A

Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: 2-Ton] #1313947 Tue Jun 11 2019 02:27 AM
D
DippinBob Offline
New Guy
All,

I wanted to say thanks for all the help, advice and opinions on this subject. I've opted for a 4-post lift for two of the reasons pointed out: 1.) I've got a failed knee replacement so I cannot kneel down or squat. Getting down on the ground is an exercise in pain and the less I have to do the less grumpy I will be. Removing some of these bolts is already going to challenge that boundary. 2.) It has castors so I can move it around inside my shop. When I got started a couple weekends ago I had no intention of spending money on the lift. It took me three days to recover and only one day to change my mind.

Thanks again for the guidance.

My High School Vehicle
1956 GMC purchased for $800 in 1979
After 3 dash fires, one dented telephone pole and 40 years, it is time to be rebuilt.
My new daily driver: 2018 Tesla Model 3
Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: 2-Ton] #1315736 Wed Jun 26 2019 12:30 PM
S
SavannahDog Offline
Shop Shark
Anybody seen the lift sold by Northern Tool. It's short, got a 45" lift. And it's portable. This is nice in my Shop under my house got a 9 foot ceiling.
It's made by MaxJax.

Julian Carter

1970 Triumph GT6
1967 Triumph TR4A
1952 Chevy 3600
1948 MG-TC
Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: 2-Ton] #1324635 Tue Sep 03 2019 08:33 AM
D
Detroit Iron Offline
Shop Shark
In all the years I've worked on with a lift. Most of it has been under a single ram in ground lift (probably alludes to my age wink ). I found dragging the 4 arms out only slightly annoying. My other experience was on the (above ground) 4 post lifts. What I didn't like, over the single, was needing to drive a rig onto the lift (up the ramps onto the lift). I also didn't care for the nuisance of using bottle jacks when the tires were in the way. However, it was superior, when working on the drive train.
I think for me, and overall convenience of doing most anything on a car. I'd probably go with an in-ground 2 post lift. OTOH, if price was an issue. I'd probably go with a grease pit. Speaking of; I'm surprised nobody even mentioned a grease pit. smile

Chris

'64 Chev C20 LWB stepside ( Ol'Blue )
[img]http://boltbucket.org/img/OlBlue-C20-badge-64x64.jpg[/img]
Re: Truck/Car lifts [Re: 2-Ton] #1324717 Tue Sep 03 2019 05:55 PM
MNSmith Offline
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
As long as the vehicle isn't running while you're in the pit!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop