The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
3 members (Chevy's till I d, TPR57C, rickmg), 85 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,452
Posts956,405
Members43,405
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Finding an original H-series Cummins...
#1150131 Sun Feb 14 2016 05:03 PM
J
Unrepentant VW Lover
A pretty cool article for you tan engine fans ... or for anyone who likes crawling around forgotten junkyards in the winter.

John
So long and thanks for all the fish!

'49 Chevrolet 3804

Re: Finding an original H-series Cummins...
John Milliman #1150147 Sun Feb 14 2016 06:14 PM
H
Boltergeist
Those old "Come-along" engines put a lot of groceries on my table for a lot of years. I think the oldest one I worked on was a 220 engine in a 1955 Freightliner COE with a no-tilt cab. We put a set of head gaskets on it with over 2 million miles on the truck, and no telling how many rebuilds of the engine. Torquing those 3 heads with 18 1" diameter head bolts (6 to each head) to 600 ft/lbs. was a 4-hour job that involved walking around the cab many times. My 300 Ft/Lb deflecting beam torque wrench with the doubler on it was 5 feet long!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
John Milliman #1150160 Sun Feb 14 2016 07:35 PM
W
Shop Shark
Awesome Article! Thanks for sharing!!

Just sold: 1955 2nd Series 6500 2-Ton Flatbed Truck
Mo' Tater
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pics and videos on Photobucket

It takes an awful big dog to weigh a ton.
John Milliman #1150274 Mon Feb 15 2016 07:23 AM
C
Shop Shark
I find that very interesting. I don't remember ever seeing an H Model Cummins. There were still some JT180 engines around when I started. I think it may have been the H block with a supercharger. I first Diesel as a 62 Internationals with a NH220 with a displacement of 743. I soon repowered with an NHC250 which was 855 cu in. 855 cu in was the flagship of the Cummins engines until they could no longer pass emissions after 2003. The H series was 672 cu in. I still run 672 cu in engines in my bulk rigs to save weight. 2003 ISM's set at 370HP and 1450 ft.lbs torque. 2003 was the last year the ISM was offered without EGR.

With all the millions of miles I have logged with Cummins engines over the past half century, I experienced my first 2 failures over the past year. I lost an N14 when a turbo exploded and the driver panicked and didn't put it into gear go kill it. It ran away like a Detroit until it spun a bearing. And I lost an ISM a couple of weeks ago. I bought a used truck from a dealer in Georgia. The speedo and the ECM matched the engine. First load, a rod went out the side of the block. We then discovered the ID tag had been super glued to the block instead of the factory rivets. This one may get interesting because I have a motorized statement from the dealer that it was his personal truck and the mileage was correct.

John Milliman #1151626 Tue Feb 23 2016 03:53 AM
S
New Guy
I was curious about the model H Cummins, because back in 1973 my Dad had me, at age 16, driving loads on the highway in his 1961 Emeryville with a 220 Cummins. I followed the lead to the article and the writer who drove out to SD to retrieve the engine. Being curious I went to the official Cummins web site and then on to Wikepedia/Cummins where was mentioned the model H. Wiki claimed the model H was in popular use as a railway "switcher" engine. Follow the model H along and we will see what Cummins decides to do with this engine. ps: as a locomotive engine? I did not expect to read that.

Fruit/vegetable grower in Oceana County, Mi.

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop