The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (ApacheFiend, DennisM, AD8, BretStone, 57 Apache Stock, 1 invisible), 130 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,487
Posts956,737
Members43,414
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gas tanks, are they all galvanized or zinc coated?
#1147820 Tue Feb 02 2016 02:37 PM
G
Grigg Offline OP
Curious about the original as well as the reproduction in cab tanks for the 49-54 trucks.

I'd like to confirm or find an in cab tank that is not galvanized. Diesel reacts with the zinc making a fine powder that clogs filters, therefore a non galvanized tank is required for use with diesel fuel.
The 1952/3 GMC 450 with 3-71 Detroit Diesel as far as I know came with a square tank on the frame, not the standard in cab tank.

I've contacted the manufacturer about this tank, waiting for an answer. http://ecat.spectrapremium.com/prod/gm55a

Thanks,
Grigg

Last edited by Grigg; Tue Feb 02 2016 02:52 PM. Reason: more info

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: Gas tanks, are they all galvanized or zinc coated?
Grigg #1147909 Tue Feb 02 2016 10:14 PM
G
Grigg Offline OP
Reply back from Spectra Premium Industries on their Tank # GM55A which is made in Canada.

Yes they are compatible for gas and diesel they are made of NI TERN STEEL see below definition of our NI TERNE STELL,

Spectra Premium Industries' fuel tanks are made in Canada from U.S. Steel's "Ni-Terne" material. The annealed cold-rolled steel sheet is first processed to apply a thin flash coating of electrodeposited nickel, and then it's given a hot-dip lead-tin alloy coating. The nickel base coat gives Ni-Terne steel an extra measure of corrosion resistance compared to U.S. Steel's regular "Terne" steel sheet and also compared to traditional galvanizing, which isn't readily available anymore. It should also be pointed out that the Ni-Terne coating protects both interior and exterior surfaces of the fuel tank from surface corrosion.

That sounds good to me, I'm familiar with Terne. A lead and tin corrosion resistant coating. At one time standing seam roofing metal/steel was usually "Terne metal" now much less common in that industry.

Some of the re sellers of these tanks seem to incorrectly list them as zinc coated.

Can't speak to the imported (from overseas) tanks and what they would be coated with.

Grigg

1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Grigg #1147952 Wed Feb 03 2016 01:29 AM
C
Shop Shark
I have bought over a dozen Spectra Premium tanks over the years for my GMCs as well as my Y-Blocks and I am convinced they are the best one can buy for gas, but I would be hesitant to put Diesel in them because they sure look galvanized. I don't think the originals were galvanized, in fact I have thrown quite a few that were probably still good simply because for less than $175 for a new one, I didn't want to mess with an old one. My 520 gas burner came with a square tank.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/1126369...3154546690&oid=112636930370126476644

I just cut the draw pipe off a couple of inches to stay away from the dirt a little more. On a diesel, I would put the draw on one end and the return on the other end to stay away from the turbulence of the return. The absolute best for Diesel is aluminum. If you are looking for a square one, I have seen them on eBay. I think they are for boats, but what works,works. Just fill the tank with nitrogen and weld in a return.

Grigg #1147995 Wed Feb 03 2016 04:37 AM
C
Shop Shark
Take a look at Ebay seller rdl0303's store, you'll find the tank. I have bought over a dozen of them from this seller and I'll buy some more from him if I need them. $173.99 delivered is as good a price as I have seen. If you look at the picture, they look galvanized, but apparently its not zinc.

Last edited by cletis; Wed Feb 03 2016 05:20 PM. Reason: Linked to sellers store
Grigg #1148276 Thu Feb 04 2016 05:56 PM
G
Grigg Offline OP
Thanks for the input Ken.
My truck has a new tank already, now I need to confirm if it is a Spectra tank or not, time to remove seat to check.

I'm finding this Spectra GM55A tank for about $155 delivered from Rock Auto or Amazon. Sounds like a bargain.

Grigg

Grigg #1148361 Thu Feb 04 2016 11:52 PM
C
Shop Shark
I didn't realize that Amazon and Rock had gotten that cheap. They used to be around $250 and thats why I bought from the guy on eBay. I wonder if Spectra is maintaining their quality. We had been buying all aluminum radiators from Modine for our Internationals for about $1500. I now see Spectra all aluminum radiators for a little under $500 including shipping. It doesn't make me very proud of the fact that in December of 2014 I bought 4 Modines to get it into that year's income tax. However, when the original plastic tank ones break a tank, it means a wrecker call.

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop