The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Supporter!
Indianapolis

Fabrications

Talk to Randy Domeck

See what they

can do

for you
!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Some New
Some Vintage
Many in Production

Check for details!

Will be updating all year around!

Who's Online Now
31 registered members (5 Window 9434, anssec66, 32vld, 63stepsideLB, 69Cuda, 3 invisible), 536 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics108,400
Posts848,267
Members40,082
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1144923 - Sat Jan 16 2016 05:45 AM 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue  
captandy  Offline
New Guy
TN
So my son loves old vehicles and exploring the local area. One day he comes home and tells me of an old truck in the woods near an apple orchard that he wants me to see says its really cool. He is 14. A few weeks later I finally go for the hike take a quick uninterested look at a what appeared to be part of a truck buried in the brush. To be honest i was not taking a very good look lots of thorns. A few months go by of listening about this truck and he then tells me the owner of the retired orchard, who by the way has given him permission to go on his property and look at this truck, told him he would sell the truck. So I had to go and take a closer look to see if it could be rescued. At this point I was not too enthusiastic about this as you could imagine. Well after closer inspection, and lots of cuts and scrapes from these thorny bushes and vines, I made the decision that if we could crank this beast and the price was right we would give it a shot. The owner of this property was about 90 or more and he told me he parked the truck over 20 years ago and hasn't touched it since. He hauled over 20 tons of rock up the mountain where we live with this truck back in the day, and used it on his orchard. "If you want that old truck you can have it for six hundred dollars as long as you repair any ruts made in the orchard field made by tow truck." Sounded like a good deal to me. So cash paid, title in hand, off we went. Before we went out to get a wrecker,we decided lets just see if it will crank. I had already checked to see if engine would hand roll so I knew it wasn't seized, and looked at the surprisingly decent looking oil. So we put a squirt of some marvels in every spark plug hole and changed those and called it a night to let the marvels do it's thing. Son not happy about the wait. The next day out to the woods we went again. This time we brought more tools some water and gas. Poured 5 gal bucket of water into the radiator and it came out as fast as it went in, in every direction as if out of a kitchen strainer. We figured we were here so lets at least try and see if it wants to crank. So we installed a battery ran a gas line to fuel pump and she actually rolled over. I was now getting a little excited I had forseen a large 4x4 wrecker in my future at a cost of who knows what. But no fire, at this point dead battery and no way to charge it this far from anything. So packed it in with plan c. Came back the next day, son not happy again about that, after a trip to the local parts store. This time we put on a new coil pack, and a hot box on the battery, crimped of the major radiator leaks, put half a can of pepper in radiator(old trick I learned from my dad that somehow popped back in my brain, that my son said would never work) still no fire. Dammit! After looking further noticed top wire of coil pack was damaged, was not making connections because one end was missing brass inside the boot, kinda strange. So off the boy went said he had an idea, came back after awhile with a new wire.??? Found out later he ran home and robbed it off my other project, whose manufacturer will not be named here for fear of backlash, he he he. Anyways, NO FIRE! Well following the line of electricity finally noticed when engine rolled over the points were not opening. Pulled the points reset the gap. UREKA! WE HAVE FIRE! starting to think this old truck might start. Reattached everything and added water to the radiator which, by the way, leaked for a few seconds then stopped, my son was amazed. The moment of truth has now come. Put a small squirt of gas in carb, which we already had sprayed down with cleaner and lubricant to get all of it's functions to be apparently working, turned the key she rolled, rolled, rolled and tried to fire. Gave it a few seconds tried it a few more times and then she came to life. I don't know which one of us was more excited. Once we settled her idle down a little bit, which was pretty rough after her long nap she sounded pretty good, still needs some adjustments, and a muffler, she is loud without one. Now came the tricky part. My son had already cleared out the brush from the front of the truck but she was still in there. After about ten minutes of spinning wheels in the sunk ground. We broke out the shovels and the scrap wood. Dug the front and rear wheels out a little more and tried again. After a few minutes of spinning wheels and rocking her back and forth she emerged from the over growth. The only way I can explain how that felt is to tell you to watch the youtube video link, very short. At the end you'll see what I mean, was shot by the wife so angle changes toward the end. The old apple farmer couldn't believe we got it started let alone drove it out of there he thought for sure we would have to get a wrecker. Well that's the story on how we came upon this truck. And after a lot of hesitation and I mean a lot, I have to admit I think the boy has found one heck of a treasure. He still has along way to go to get his first "car" ready to drive and be safe and it doesn't look like much now. But lots of possibilities and potential. And be still has a couple of years till he can drive anyways. I have to admit I am jealous lmao. But it has made me a big fan of these trucks which could be dangerous for my bank account, maybe he will get older and not like it. Wishful thinking. So after all that what we have is a 1966 C60 w/292ci engine and it has a dump bed. Well it did, appears to have rotted off the frame. Must have been made of wood, but we did find all the old flat bar frame surrounding the truck so we kept it just in case. Still learning alot about these trucks great site and forums. Any advice is appreciated and watch the video and check out the pictures more to come.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskrNa6PW

https://flic.kr/s/aHskrNajef

https://flic.kr/s/aHskrBrsdp

https://youtu.be/G8eorT8H54s

#1144930 - Sat Jan 16 2016 06:06 AM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
Rich'sToys  Offline
Shop Shark
Janesville, Mn
Congratulations! That's a cool old truck! Gotta love those Big Bolts!
Welcome to the forum. If you have not already done so, be sure to check out the Big Bolt forum .
Be sure to keep us posted on your progress.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Politicians and Lawyers have twisted everything in this country into knots that we can never unravel.

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't and die to find out there is.

#1144954 - Sat Jan 16 2016 02:35 PM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
Hambone  Offline
california, md
Great story. Nice find.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10

#1145127 - Sun Jan 17 2016 06:04 AM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
Themoneypit  Offline
New Guy
Canada
Cool Story, Looks to be in pretty good condition for sitting that long! Great Find smile

Ps... not to be rude but paragraphs make reading much easier and enjoyable!

Last edited by Themoneypit; Sun Jan 17 2016 06:08 AM.

1954 Chev 3100

“When I’m working on a problem, I never think about beauty. I think only how to solve the problem. But when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.” R. Buckminster Fuller

#1146177 - Sat Jan 23 2016 06:04 AM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
J Lucas  Offline
South Omaha, Nebraska
Hello Cap,

Absolutely fabulous! I just love the video and it sounds good too. Great score, your son has a good eye. Can't wait to follow your progress.

Just curious where about in Tennessee are you located?

Oh, and welcome to the "Bolt".

John

J Lucas

1941 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1942 Chevy 1.5-Ton SWB
1959 Chevy Apache 31 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Apache 32 Fleetside
1959 Chevy Viking 40

My Flicker Photos!

#1146826 - Wed Jan 27 2016 07:58 PM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: J Lucas]  
captandy  Offline
New Guy
TN
We live in signal mountain just outside chattanooga. It is a cool truck already fixed radiator cleaned gas tank pulled seat to be recovered and instrument cluster is off to be refurbished and dump bed frame off. The boy has been working. Thanks and more to come

#1146829 - Wed Jan 27 2016 08:05 PM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
captandy  Offline
New Guy
TN
Here is some progress pics after dump bed frame removed.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskswTAmP

#1146837 - Wed Jan 27 2016 09:02 PM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
69Cuda  Online
Big Bolt Forum Moderator
Seattle, Wa.
Sweet story and project! Welcome to the site!

Mike

1955 Chevy 6400 ex-flatbed (no bed now!)
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1958 Chevy 6400 flatbed W/dump
In the Stovebolt Gallery

1959 Chevy Suburban Owned for almost 20 years, Daily Driver -- sold May 2016
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof

#1146861 - Thu Jan 28 2016 01:29 AM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
Peggy M  Offline
Worker Bee
Stovebolt Headquarters
Wow, now this is what I like to see!!! I'll be catching up with you soon to get this in the Big Gallery!

Peg

#1197487 - Fri Dec 30 2016 04:56 AM Re: 1966 C60 Big Bolt Rescue [Re: captandy]  
captandy  Offline
New Guy
TN
Hey guys,
sorry for the long pause just a quick update for ya. purchased a rust free replacement cab out of AZ recently, and should ship to me next week. I'll be sure to drop some pics. also received the instrument cluster back from the refab guy I found. looks awesome, like brand new. post more as it comes, just happens slow sometimes. thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  J Lucas 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Links | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop