The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (37 GC, BC59, 69Cuda, Dr. Jag, darthintel, 1 invisible), 209 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,110
Posts935,692
Members42,781
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A Story of Friendship #1137809 Fri Dec 04 2015 06:19 PM
H
Hellomrwilson Offline OP
Shop Shark
** A post I made on Facebook. I thought I would share it with my like-minded friends, here as well. **

"When I was in High School so many years ago, I decided to take an Auto-mechanics class. My thought was of the enjoyment of tinkering and also of saving money by doing my own repairs in my "grown-up" days. I had some like-minded friends in the class as well. One of which was a boy that after all of the years passed, would sometimes call me at home for some remembrances and laughs and just to keep in touch.
What was special to me about our friendship was, Mack Walker was an Alabama-Coushatta Indian. When I first met him in class I told him I had some Indian blood in me as well, as my Great Grandmother was full-blood... he said "Cherokee... right?" To which I replied "Yes, how did you know that?" He chuckled and said "That's the only type Indian the white man knows!" To that we both laughed... but truly she was... ha. Had I known what he was going to say, I might have said Karankawa, Apache, Comanchee or Suix... you know some bad-to-the-bone type.
Mack and I both loved our cars. After wheeling and dealing a ’72 Ford Country Squire Station Wagon fitted with the “Lampoon Vacation” wood grain veneer, I traded and drove a ‘71 factory Hemi Orange Dodge Demon 340 and Mack drove a Ford Torino Fastback with an Indian Chief head painted on it.
He was really artistically talented. Art was just another thing we had in common. He brought some drawings he made in a tablet, for me to see. A lot of his subject matter was a slouched, drunken Indian Warrior with bottle in hand on a slumped, skinny horse. To me, the drawings were a sad and heart-felt depiction. I have much respect for the American Indian and I'm not sorry to say, I believe our people did them so very wrong. I know it wasn’t the original intent for our race but we were so different from them. Their ways were not ours and certainly ours, not theirs. Our quest to start a new life away from English rule resulted in near extinction of the people already living here. If you don't agree with me, get out your history books.
We almost attended college together, Texas State Technical Institute. Though he did go there, I went another direction. He became an Automotive Technician and I became a Draftsman.
One day Mack surprised me with a phone call while I was at work. He asked me to guess where he was... it was at the company guard shack! He told me to come down and look at his new-to-him Smokey and the Bandit TransAm! I didn't waste any time! The car was awesome, of course.
A few years later, he pulled up in our driveway in a family van with his wife and young children. They were just passing through. It was good to see him as a husband and father and meet his family.
Throughout the years he would call to check on me "Hellooooo Mr. Willllson"... to which I created my email address, hellomrwilson@hotmail.com.
I would pick at him if it were a dry Summer, telling him he was falling down on the job, he needed to get his rear outside and start doing a rain dance... he'd just chuckle. Then, we'd talk about cars and then old friends. I never could interest him in Facebook so he could see my '59 Apache Truck Project in process. He told me though, that he had a Demon 340 that was like mine, only lime green in color. He also said he had a ‘70s model Dodge Charger. He knew I loved old Mopars! What he said much later was, they were on a shelf in his room... they were models.
On other calls, he would ask me if we got the rain he danced for. Of course it had just rained so the call was timed. The calls always left me feeling good about a friendship made.
I haven't heard from Mack in a few years. I tried calling a few months ago and the number was no longer active.
Yesterday, I was compelled to search for him using Google in case he had a new number. My heart sank as I found an Obituary where he passed away on December 11, 2012. Mack McGill Walker is buried at the Alabama-Coushatta Indian Reservation Cemetery. He was a member of a Baptist Church at the Reservation... what great news that I will see him again in Heaven.
This brings to light, I need to search for other friends that I haven't been in contact with for a while who are not on Facebook... if nothing else, to let them know what they meant to me and how they touched my life through the years.
Of you who are friends and family here on Facebook, you each mean something to me. Thank you and God bless you… reach out to someone.
This isn't intended to be a sad note, rather an awakening."

Jerry

1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Re: A Story of Friendship [Re: Hellomrwilson] #1137905 Sat Dec 05 2015 05:56 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Jerry, may I respond to your message of"
"This isn't intended to be a sad note, rather an awakening."

I had an "awakening" tonight. A dear friend of many years had a stroke a few weeks ago. He is having a hard time with memory and can hardly get around. I consider him a true friend and would have no problem putting my life in his hands.
The car club Christmas dinner was tonight. Since he cannot drive his 64 1/2 Mustang Convertible anymore I called and told him I'd pick him up and take him to the dinner. He now has the tremors very bad. Knowing the kind of man he is, and what he'd do if it was me,I helped him mix his coffee, helped him with his salad/potato and had chef cut his steak in small strips. We had a blast at the party, had some desert and we all told some stories. (He and I also have had quite a few "hot dogs and Pepsi" along the way)
As I helped him in my truck, and we talked on the way home, I realize he may not be with us much longer. We chatted about his 48 Chev.coupe, the 53 Ferd coupe, his Corvette, and 50 Ferd sedan he had over the years. What a pleasant ride home as we talked about the first time we met and things we've did since then.
After helping him into his home, I told him what a great friend he was and how I loved him as a brother. I doubt very seriously if he'll be here next Christmas, but at least he knows how I value our friendship. I'm just glad we had the opportunity to talk "before it was to late".
I might add that even though I had requested no visitors when I had open heart surgery, it was him who "bulldozed" his way into my room, and the first one to come up my steps when I got home.

Wake up, and tell you family, and your friends, you love them and how much you care....NOW.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: A Story of Friendship [Re: Hellomrwilson] #1137910 Sat Dec 05 2015 07:21 AM
T
TPR57C Offline
Shop Shark
You just don't know what's around the corner Alvin so Im with you I visited a 92 year old neighbour in hospital Monday and she still was complaining about the doctor taking her drivers licence off her I'm glad I visited her as I don't think I will see her again I asked her if she wanted anything all she wanted was black liquorice she got some Thursday night from me and I wil remember her every time I have liquorice enjoy the moment and friends you have

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: A Story of Friendship [Re: Hellomrwilson] #1138007 Sun Dec 06 2015 12:38 AM
H
Hellomrwilson Offline OP
Shop Shark
That's exactly what this world needs, gentlemen...
Money isn't near a treasure as is love.

1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Re: A Story of Friendship [Re: Hellomrwilson] #1138026 Sun Dec 06 2015 02:00 AM
C
Chev4t6 Offline
Shop Shark
Ditto on above....I ran into a friend(68) I hadn't seen in a year or so last week...he could barely walk and had a hard time even recognizing me seriously almost made me cry....he had a stroke over the last year....I worked at his garage 30 years ago......his partner died 5 years ago...this guy was amazing...loved Stovebolts, cars, trucks, hot rods....he had the knowledge, ability, was a natural...like Hot rod Lincoln,... TC.... .grigg....MPC... DG..and a multitude of others here we depend on here...please grasp their knowledge... expertise and thank them. I spoke with him for a couple of hours....couldn't apologize enough and will see him on a more regular basis....so if you ever failed or never told thank you people so very much and I appreciate all of you. It is so easy to be a member here....sometimes we/I don't offer or fail to offer up my opinions good, bad or indifferent....thank you all
Dan

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop