The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
5 members (crenwelge, dsword, Joe Alan, 2 invisible), 102 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics126,066
Posts1,018,872
Members45,419
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Repro Radios
EchoBravoSierra #1110202 Fri Jun 26 2015 01:25 AM
D
Shop Shark
Truckernix:
Actually I don't know if it's digital tuning or not. All I know is that to find a station you need to keep scrolling the tuner needed and then set a button. The needle has NO relation to where the station actually is on the dial so it's kinda worthless. I emailed them several times but just got a run around on how to fix this. I'd stay away from it but others seem happy so maybe you want to contact them..

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle
Name after my Uncle's Wife..

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
EchoBravoSierra #1110204 Fri Jun 26 2015 01:31 AM
D
Shop Shark
Truckermix: You asked a question before that I missed. The needle does not operate smoothly like you would think. It moves in a kind of jerky way up/down the dial and somtimes does not move at all until you keep turning the tuner dial. You really have to be patient to find a station you like and then set a button. You will never know that station's call numbers until they say it on air... very strange

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ... Will Rogers
EchoBravoSierra #1135669 Sun Nov 22 2015 06:16 PM
Shop Shark
It's been a long while now since the OP inquired about his radio choice predicament, and don't know how he made out with his choices.

May I suggest an alternative: providing you already have an old radio that fits (working or not), why not rebuild your own? Gee, even if you don't currently have a radio, I'm confident there is still a good (dial assembly) workaround using just a simple basic '60's rig ..albeit a little more time consuming.

Anyway, for those interested I've posted just such a project in the Radio Bench section.

Good luck -- have fun!

EchoBravoSierra #1135684 Sun Nov 22 2015 07:10 PM
D
Shop Shark
I am the OP I believe. I did succumb to the temptation to buy one of those repos and am sad I did. What a totally over priced piece of crap they are. You simply cannot rely on dialing the needle to find a station..you just have to stumble on it and set a button. Then the needle is no where near where the station really is on the dial. You can't even know this until it's installed and working..sort of.... I guess you could test it on a bench but, silly me, I trusted that for $500 !! it was a good product...

Color me extremely sad for buying this...

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

EchoBravoSierra #1135892 Mon Nov 23 2015 05:53 PM
Shop Shark
Mark --
So sorry to read that. Are you able to share the name of the repro maker? Might help others to avoid the same pitfall. wink

For that amount of money (even more here in Canadian funds) one would think the so-called pros would provide an exceptional product with a great satisfaction guaranty.

And in light of that, have you contacted the supplier to see if they will make it right for you?

Some of my research included folks like yourself who were also dissatisfied with those (commercial) products. Some with the same complaint as yours.

I suspect that the original intent was to provide a quality product. But I guess a quick buck got in the way of integrity. From what I understand, those electronic card gizmos are available to most any 'commercial' shop who wants to repackage and sell it. Their mechanical assembly expertise might be lacking as a result.

Depending how choked you still are about this, perhaps by using the front end dial assembly of your unit (if they used the original stuff), the chassis could be swapped and more appropriately adapted to that of a '60's radio?
Hey, it might even come out prettier than mine smile

EchoBravoSierra #1135897 Mon Nov 23 2015 06:17 PM
D
Shop Shark
Hi Wayne,

I did talk directly with the gal that is the head of this company...small company..and she, quite frankly, was a bit terse with me. Essetially what she said was that all her repro radios are like the one I have in that the needle is basically there just for show ??? and that tuning is accomplish by trial and error then set a button. It does, if you care, pick up FM by switching of and back on quickly...I seldom if ever listen to FM though... They are sold thru Jim Carter's site and I think the maker is just down the street from them...Contact him for further info. I have my stations set now and will just let it be. I can't afford to pursue this anymore as I would just get more frustrated with this maker...

Mark
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
Lucielle

In the Stovebolt Gallery

55firstseries #1135900 Mon Nov 23 2015 06:27 PM
E
'Bolter
Originally Posted by 55firstseries
It's been a long while now since the OP inquired about his radio choice predicament, and don't know how he made out with his choices.

May I suggest an alternative: providing you already have an old radio that fits (working or not), why not rebuild your own? Gee, even if you don't currently have a radio, I'm confident there is still a good (dial assembly) workaround using just a simple basic '60's rig ..albeit a little more time consuming.

Anyway, for those interested I've posted just such a project in the Radio Bench section.

Good luck -- have fun!

That was me that started the thread. I ended up buying a decent Sony Bluetooth speaker for use with my iPod to tide me over for a while, and have not actually bought a truck radio to permanently install in the truck. (The Bluetooth speaker has been used more outside of the truck than in, so it was a good buy.) Besides the price of the unit in question being an initial hold up, I haven't addressed some other issues with the truck that are more important at this time (weatherstripping, repairing door latches/lock), so the permanent radio will wait until the appropriate time. It turns out, I don't have a lot of time to do repairs and upgrades... Who'd have thunk it..?

Regarding Mark's issue with the dial needle not indicating where it's actually tuned: personally that wouldn't bother me as I would be using the iPod/phone input 99% of the time, but I can see how that would rub him the wrong way considering the price of the unit. I think the main selling point of the unit is the combination of the vintage LOOK (but not necessarily exactly-as-vintage operation) with the modern features, with the aux input probably being the main draw as it is with me.

Regarding rebuilding an old one: I don't have an old one to start with, and I don't have the know-how to rebuild one and implement the features I want, namely the iPod integration. An original AM-only box would be useless to me, and one with FM would be nearly as useless. I want basically what those guys are selling... There's an automotive radio repair shop very near my house- I wonder if anyone there would be open to discussing the idea of rebuilding an old rig with newer features. Maybe one day I'll make it by there.

EchoBravoSierra #1135942 Mon Nov 23 2015 10:50 PM
'Bolter
This is really disheartening to read about the repro radios. I wish others on this site could share their experiences. I am under the understanding that the button selections will be lost if power is lost. Is that so?

There are some people in the business of replacing the electronics in these old radios with a new solid state board. They use the mechanical tuning system and the oscillator tuning coil. I am not sure if it is an FM only conversion.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
EchoBravoSierra #1135955 Mon Nov 23 2015 11:35 PM
E
'Bolter
Truckernix,
Here are the specs from their site that should answer your questions:

Small size, BIG features!

Looks original but
offers today's technology

3¼" case depth allows room
for electric wipers,
air conditioning

AM dial scale in foreground
looks original - FM dial scale
in background

Analog controls look and feel
like the original radio

All controls easily accessible. Volume, bass, treble, balance, fader and tuning from original-looking controls

LED dial lights will never need replacing

Digitally tuned AM/FM Stereo front end provides stable, high quality reception

11.5 - 16.0 Volts DC negative ground input only

Maximum power = 180 watts RMS (45 watts x 4 speakers 4Ω, 14.4V, 1kHz)

Do not use original speakers

Uses original antenna

Sensitivity (FM S/N 30dB) typ 5 dBµ, (AM S/N 20dB) typ 29 dBµ

10 presets (5 AM, 5FM)

Digitally tuned receiver with analog display

Dimensions: 9" W x 3.25" H x 4.6" D. Depth behind dash is 3.25" at shafts

Auxiliary inputs (RCA jacks). Standard (Motorola) antenna jack

½" D shafts on controls for mounting (same size and thread as original shafts)

Memory retention (presets and other user settings) more than 40 years with power disconnected

3 RCA jacks for left channel, right channel and sub-woofer line outs

3.5 mm phone jack for input from iPod, satellite radio or MP3 player

Switch selectable for 1,2,3 or 4 speakers

Switch selectable for North America or Europe mode

Includes a 6 foot 3.5mm male-to-male auxiliary cable with every radio

You can add our Bluetooth adapter kit option to this radio!

Last edited by EchoBravoSierra; Mon Nov 23 2015 11:36 PM.
EchoBravoSierra #1135963 Tue Nov 24 2015 12:00 AM
'Bolter
Thanks!

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  truckernix 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop