The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
22 members (1Ton_tommy, 49 3100, 47chevySC, D B Cooper, Chuck52, 4 invisible), 198 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,928
Posts969,406
Members43,795
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I have a 216 that has had a lot of water in the oil .
#1132032 Fri Oct 30 2015 07:45 AM
D
Dusty Offline OP
Shop Shark
The head gasket was leaking.

There is a lot of nasty emulsified goop left and I wanted your helpful suggestions for cleaning the engine without removing the sump. The engine is still in the truck and I know how hard it will be for me to reseal the sump insitu.
My idea so far is to pour kerosine into the sump , let it soak for a day , then feed an air line down and let metered air bubble thru for a while to agitate the mess , drain and repeat .........

Re: I have a 216 that has had a lot of water in the oil .
Dusty #1132038 Fri Oct 30 2015 11:45 AM
B
Shop Shark
If the truck has been sitting, how long? Reason I ask. ...picked up a tranny from a museum several years back. When drained, about a 1/2 pint of water was in with the oil. Had to replace all the rotating assembly due to pitting. You may get all the water from the sump but what damage has it caused elsewhere, i.e. Pitted bearings, rings, and so on.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Dusty #1132099 Fri Oct 30 2015 06:57 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yes , I understand the risk of water damage , but I am not going there at this stage , this is just a rescue mission for this truck. I have studied the valve gear , push rods and cam followers when I pulled the head and those parts all seem fine.
It does just a few hundred miles per year , and the hope is , it will last under the small , light , use it will get.

Dusty #1132103 Fri Oct 30 2015 07:29 PM
H
Boltergeist
If the engine will run, fill it to the normal level with fresh 30 weight oil, add 2-3 liters of Diesel fuel, and run it at fast idle for 20 minutes or so. The engine serves as its own agitator, with the crankshaft providing the splash. Just don't drive it- - - -moderate speed in neutral only.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Dusty #1132107 Fri Oct 30 2015 09:13 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
Shop Shark
Jerry, the engine runs fine, I am aware that 5% kero was advised in sub zero conditions , back in the day , so I was hoping to hear or get confirmation that more would be a good idea smile

I will try some diesel / oil mix in a bucket first , to see how it cleans the goop off the cam followers.

Dusty #1132111 Fri Oct 30 2015 09:42 PM
H
Boltergeist
The gimmick is to get the crankcase overfilled to the point that the crankshaft whips into the liquid in the sump. That makes the crankshaft a very effective eggbeater, so to speak, and it splashes the solvent around inside better than anybody can do, even with a brush.
Jerry

Dusty #1132122 Fri Oct 30 2015 11:31 PM
D
Dusty Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks Jerry . I've a lot on this weekend but I will get right onto it Monday .

Dusty #1132138 Sat Oct 31 2015 01:31 AM
H
Boltergeist
I have a friend in Auckland who wants me to visit for a while and assemble a spare engine for his 1925 Dodge truck. It was purchased new by his family as a delivery vehicle when they owned a big winery there, and the truck is still used in parades, etc. He has attended a couple of target shoots that I sponsor at my farm for Guns & Ammo magazine every year on Memorial Day. He grows orchids for export and also serves as a crew member on a big offshore fishing boat. That's a very tempting offer!
Jerry

Dusty #1132141 Sat Oct 31 2015 01:39 AM
Master Gabster
"add 2-3 liters of Diesel fuel"
Nice touch on the metric conversion. Hotrod!

Dusty #1132162 Sat Oct 31 2015 02:45 AM
H
Boltergeist
Hey, the rest of the world switched to the metric system 60 years ago after WW II out of necessity because all their factories were blasted to rubble by our very efficient B-17's, B-24's, and B-29's- - - -We're the ones who are out of step now.

All our war-surplus manufacturing machinery is worn out now, and we have to go beg the rest of the world to sell us new stuff!
Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop