The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
10 members (EdPruss, dands, carbking, fonz8261, Jimmie D, Johnny N), 200 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics122,129
Posts979,671
Members44,158
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rear brakes lock up on 1947 Thriftmaster
#1130976 Fri Oct 23 2015 04:39 PM
S
smel Offline OP
New Guy
After driving a short distance I feel a drag which becomes worse as I continue to drive. Eventually the rear wheels almost lockup. I found a leaking wheel cylinder which I replaced a bled system. I drove it a short distance and the drag is happening again. I check and bled system and it improves only to eventually lock up both wheels. Any advice is appreciated.

Re: Rear brakes lock up on 1947 Thriftmaster
smel #1130980 Fri Oct 23 2015 05:27 PM
L
Wrench Fetcher
I'm assuming your truck is all stock. If not, disregard all of this. I had a similar problem with my 47 when I started working on the brakes although all 4 corners were dragging on mine. it turned out the relief port in the master cylinder was plugged so the brake fluid couldn't return to the master cylinder when you applied the brakes and got off the pedal. It would improve if you bled the brakes until you have enough pressure to lock them back up. Also make sure your pedal is adjusted properly and the brake return spring is installed so the cups uncover the relief port when you let off the brakes. Hope this helps!
Best regards,
Les

smel #1130995 Fri Oct 23 2015 06:56 PM
H
Boltergeist
If the problem is isolated to only the rear wheels, check or replace the flex line between the frame and the rear end housing. Something is holding pressure in the rear wheel cylinders, and the flex line can collapse on the inside and restrict the fluid flow back to the master cylinder.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Les_S #1130996 Fri Oct 23 2015 07:15 PM
S
smel Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks for the.tip....I will check it out.

Hotrod Lincoln #1130997 Fri Oct 23 2015 07:16 PM
S
smel Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks...I will check it out.

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop