The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 registered members (6571, D B Cooper, clarsen3100, 49 3100, Bill Marlow, 03marauderman, 2 invisible), 444 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,498
Posts930,005
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1951 3600 Chevy, ifs install 71 nova #1130078 Sun Oct 18 2015 09:20 PM
W
William Edmonds Offline OP
New Guy
How we doing today,
Building a 1951 3600 Chevy, grafting on 1971 Nova sub frame, 369 motor, 4 speed Muncie, Dana 44 out back.

I am in the process of swapping my 51 Chevy's front suspension by grafting a 1971 Nova sub frame onto it. Read a lot of articles, looked at a lot of pictures but no one is very clear on any kind of measurements. Just wondering if anyone could help out a little. I have a plan but just was looking for some info before I jump in. I know I will have to reshape some sheet metal, and move my radiator support. But any help is always appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

WilliamT

Re: 1951 3600 Chevy, ifs install 71 nova [Re: William Edmonds] #1130563 Wed Oct 21 2015 04:51 AM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
William,
We have done many ifs swaps and after enough time even dummies pick up a few tricks. Here are a couple that doesn't require a tape measure. First BEFORE you remove the stub frame from the Nova put an angle finder on the upper A-frame shaft and get the built in anti-dive angle. This will also have your caster close in it's new home. Now tack a "T" bar onto the top of the cowl with the leg to the cowl and the (movable) cross arm above the front spindles. Drop a plumb bob on each side and adjust cross arm till string runs exactly through the center of the spindle end. Tack cross arm in place. When you put the clip in place adjust till string runs through center of spindle on the Nova spindles and your new front end is EXACTLY where your old one was. We usually tack our "T" bar to the top of the truck with two angle braces down to the cowl so when the strings are wound up everything is out of the way.

Evan
Re: 1951 3600 Chevy, ifs install 71 nova [Re: William Edmonds] #1130564 Wed Oct 21 2015 04:55 AM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
Oops, be sure to have the Nova frame level when you measure it and your truck frame level when installing Nova clip.

Evan
Re: 1951 3600 Chevy, ifs install 71 nova [Re: William Edmonds] #1130616 Wed Oct 21 2015 04:17 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Ditto on the above advice- - - -it's almost exactly the way we built dirt track cars when we would shorten a frame to achieve the minimum wheelbase for a car, and/or install a new front frame assembly after a major crash. Another trick is to get a set of screw-adjustable leveling jacks used for camper trailers and support the frame pieces in several places while mocking up the assembly, then tack-weld everything and re-measure before making the final welds. It's a lot easier to grind away a tack weld and reposition something than it is to cut out a fully-welded mistake!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop