The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (JW51), 224 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics121,815
Posts982,097
Members44,314
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Metalshaping class pictures
#1128036 Mon Oct 05 2015 03:57 PM
M
MPandC Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hosted a metalshaping class at the shop this past week (Th-Su) Here is a link to some of the pictures and details if anyone is interested...

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13158

Re: Metalshaping class pictures
MPandC #1128079 Mon Oct 05 2015 10:10 PM
D
Gas Pumper
Sweet! Yeah, if there is no blood on the floor, it's not a productive day. Very nice projects and I wish I knew half of what you do.

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
MPandC #1128113 Tue Oct 06 2015 01:37 AM
P
Shop Shark
Robert,

Thanks for sharing, and all I can say is that is incredible. How do you get all of the intermediate hammer strikes smoothed out in the final stage, is it the wheel? I really like the pattern making with just simple craft paper and magnets, that is a great idea. It looks like a good amount of artistic ability is needed for that kind of fabrication.

I lived in the Maryland blue crab area for a while in my life, but never used the same shell cracking tools as you all. Boy I miss crabs season.

Paul

MPandC #1128134 Tue Oct 06 2015 02:32 AM
A
Shop Shark
Robert, nice shop. So how does one get included in such metal working class? What are the prerequisites?

Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

MPandC #1128143 Tue Oct 06 2015 03:03 AM
D
Shop Shark
Wow! I am impressed you got Tommasini all they way over from Australia. Interesting pics.

Drew
Paul_WNC #1128189 Tue Oct 06 2015 12:08 PM
M
MPandC Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Paul_WNC
Robert,

Thanks for sharing, and all I can say is that is incredible. How do you get all of the intermediate hammer strikes smoothed out in the final stage, is it the wheel? I really like the pattern making with just simple craft paper and magnets, that is a great idea. It looks like a good amount of artistic ability is needed for that kind of fabrication.

I lived in the Maryland blue crab area for a while in my life, but never used the same shell cracking tools as you all. Boy I miss crabs season.

Paul

Paul, many options there, the same blocking hammer can be used over a sand bag to bring down the high areas (as you look at them from the back side) to a more consistent and less "walnut" form. Post dollys, bench stakes, etc will also help out to help smooth things where the wheeling is much less of a chore. But if all else fails, the wheel will smooth walnuts as well, just a bit more work.

Originally Posted by Allen Lane
Robert, nice shop. So how does one get included in such metal working class? What are the prerequisites?

Allen, no pre-requisites at all. Peter will be in Colorado in two weeks where I believe there are a couple spots still available. The announcements for these classes are normally put out on metalmeet. My class and the one in Rock Hill, SC both filled in about two days. We are considering two back to back classes next year, the first an intermediate class such as the one we just did here, and an advanced class for someone who has already attended.

Originally Posted by DrewP
Wow! I am impressed you got Tommasini all they way over from Australia. Interesting pics.

Peter has been doing classes like this for going on three years now in the states, and also does the same in Australia and Europe. The past two years he never came farther east than Nashville. When I asked the coordinator about when there would be any classes for the east coast, it was suggested that I step up and make it happen. The rest is history, as they say.

Last edited by MPandC; Tue Oct 06 2015 12:22 PM.
MPandC #1128191 Tue Oct 06 2015 01:20 PM
U
Shop Shark
Looks like it was a great meet.
I'm confused on the "aluminum" shaping for the Model A... was it (auto) made from aluminum? Or just the patch?

Brad

Wrench Fetcher, PhD
MPandC #1128205 Tue Oct 06 2015 05:05 PM
M
MPandC Offline OP
Shop Shark
All of the Model A parts were 19 ga steel, AKDQ. The aluminum parts made were for demonstration only to be able to learn both metals..

MPandC #1128211 Tue Oct 06 2015 05:31 PM
U
Shop Shark
That makes sense- are the two metals not exponentially different to shape? This could be the entire point of doing it that way... Asking only because I've never handled any aluminum (low hardness, highly malleable, less dense) sheet in that manner of bending/shaping/banging, etc..

It would be easier to learn with Al, it seems. edit- nice shop, btw

Brad

Wrench Fetcher, PhD
MPandC #1128244 Tue Oct 06 2015 09:17 PM
B
Wrench Fetcher
brilliant stuff... i'd love to learn fabrication like that

Now the proud owner of a '51 Chevy 3100
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop