The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Points to Ponder

LOVE STRUCK!

You might be a Stovebolt Lover

Check the New Stuff and Announcements Forum

What do you think?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (D B Cooper, bztguy, '50@7703', 51sub, bluesman, 1 invisible), 357 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,494
Posts939,315
Members42,881
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Transmission upgrade needed #1119321 Sun Aug 16 2015 06:38 AM
60GMCFlat Offline OP
New Guy
Hi,
I recently acquired a sweet 1960 GMC Flatbed 1/2 ton pickup... 99% original... I want to upgrade the transmission.. (currently 4 speed with granny gear).
I've ben told the T-5 tranny will bolt-up and be great, with my 235 Stovebolt.
Also, I'm wondering if I have a posi-trac rear-end, or limmited slip ?
Thanks,

Whatever you are doing, have a good time at it..... Ya gotta do it anyway... So, enjoy life !!!!
Re: Transmission upgrade needed [Re: 60GMCFlat] #1119336 Sun Aug 16 2015 02:32 PM
L
Lugnutz Offline
Shop Shark
Hello and welcome to the forum. Many trucks on here, mine included, are enjoying the T5 transmission. My signature can take you to my web pages about the T5. It is not a good choice for any hot rodding but will be just fine for a daily driver. Several gearing options exist and the best one will depend on what rear diff gear you have.

Another option is the 3 speed with a solenoid overdrive (can't remember the name).

The trickiest part of the T5 is keeping the cable speedometer working. If that isn't an issue, then the T5 swap is easy. It can be made to bolt right to your bell without an adapter plate, use your current clutch package, shorten your drive shaft, cut a hole in the floor for the shifter and it's pretty much done. Here's a LINK to the T5 installation I did on my 1965 C10.

Moderated by  Hambone 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop