The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (artinva, 3B, 55 SHAKER, 46paneltruck, Brian Wise, 3 invisible), 180 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,043
Posts970,413
Members43,823
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Foam thickness for bench seat
Uncle Brad #1116654 Fri Jul 31 2015 04:47 PM
Shop Shark
"looking like a moron with a squirrel hide" That's funny. Steve

53Movinon #1116732 Sat Aug 01 2015 01:25 AM
R
Shop Shark
This is the order I would suggest doing it. If your springs are a little weak, cut a piece of heavy household carpet to place over the springs for a foundation. Follow this with the cotton batting layers to get the thickness you need. Use the two-inch high-density foam for the TOP layer, draping it over the front 5-6 inches, followed with the seat cover. With the HD foam on top, you will not get develop a hole where you sit.
My foam and batting came from Hancock’s and my seat cover is the Jim Carter Spanish grain maroon.

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/RdLessTaken/media/IMG_85201_zps2928d7d9.jpg.html

53Movinon #1116765 Sat Aug 01 2015 06:52 AM
U
Shop Shark
Thanks for the explanation; I spent an hour and a half at several stores tonight with my squirrel hide trying to figure out the answer to the title of this thread... With my hide/seat sample in hand (and REALLY looking like a moron with a caliper as well): How much has the original cotton deteriorated? Was the batting doubled over? How much integrity will be lost in this foam vs that foam? How much room for play will the seat upholstery have when it arrives? How many 24" x 60" pieces can I cut out of a full size mattress topper? King sized?

Trying to save money here...

The old seat material is flat as it can be, and I don't ever remember thinking it was uncomfortable; it just stank & the cover was trashed.

Brad

Wrench Fetcher, PhD
RdsLessTaken #1117175 Mon Aug 03 2015 04:01 PM
Shop Shark
This is almost the same procedure I used even using the JC Spanish grain maroon. It looks a little "bulky" and in retrospect, I wonder if I should have used the 1" instead. Steve

53Movinon #1117552 Wed Aug 05 2015 06:06 PM
U
Shop Shark
Thanks for adding the "bulky" pointer. I have 1" & 1.5" foam material; also a variety of wool fabric, burlap, & cotton batting material. I can't keep all of it, and it is in returnable form, but I wanted to have it for any modifications I may need to get the right thickness.

Brad

Wrench Fetcher, PhD
53Movinon #1117563 Wed Aug 05 2015 07:48 PM
H
Shop Shark
I had to use a couple of seats to actually make a good set of bones and springs.
I ordered my Briar Brown seat cover from Raybucks and did the seat work-up using some dense padding from Walmart to top the springs ( Carpet is a good idea) and some softer egg-crate type foam as well.
I used hay bail twine to help secure the top foam layers while installing the cover.
So far, no complaints and the seat looks good and is comfortable.
It has that twangy spring sound from the action of sitting on it but for me, that just adds character to my old truck. wink
Years from now maybe, someone who might remove the cover will find a message left from me on the padding!
Jerry

1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop