The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (archburycontrol, 68ironhead, Jon G, canuck49, Calkade, 1 invisible), 236 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics118,966
Posts952,247
Members43,300
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Speedometer rebuild - 40 Chev KC
#1114886 Tue Jul 21 2015 04:44 AM
B
Britcon Offline OP
Shop Shark
Hi Guys,
I was having trouble with the speedometer on my truck making a grinding noise, and the needle fluctuating wildly. I figured the cable needed lubrication which I did using spray in graphite. That quieted the grinding noise, but I managed to break the speedometer needle in the process. I have a new needle on order from Jim carter, but I can't figure out how to remove the old one. I'd also like to disassemble the rest of the speedo, but I can't do that until I get the old needle off. It seems the shaft of the needle pushes into the shaft that comes from the rear of the speedo.
I can see how the odometer works off the worm gear. What makes the speedo needle go back and forth ? Are there gears there that need cleaning and lubrication.
Second question: Can I remove, lube, and reinstall the speedo cable from the outer casing without disconnecting the lower end of the casing from the transmission ( 350 Turbo Auto )
Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Britcon; Tue Jul 21 2015 04:46 AM.
Re: Speedometer rebuild - 40 Chev KC
Britcon #1114893 Tue Jul 21 2015 05:02 AM
H
Shop Shark
I posted the same question last week for my 40 KE there is a link there that should answer some of your questions...my post was called "dash cluster nightmare"

Re: Speedometer rebuild - 40 Chev KC
Britcon #1114985 Tue Jul 21 2015 09:46 PM
B
Britcon Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks heavy40chevy ! Link to Tech details is exactly what I was lookin for.
Much appreciated.

Moderated by  ndkid275 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop