The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (Brad Allen, JackieC, buoymaker, ApacheFiend, 1946GMCDAN, 1 invisible), 189 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,997
Posts969,979
Members43,811
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Valve train clatter
Hellomrwilson #1114710 Mon Jul 20 2015 01:56 PM
H
Shop Shark
Tim, thank you for questioning buddy, I don't mind at all. That's how I learn things.
You are right that if set up for full flow, the lines would need to be larger than the 1/4" ones.
In this case, the bypass dowel is flush, so the engine oil galley is open.
So basically in my situation, the filter gets only a portion flowing through and is mostly for looks.
I decided to keep it this way because I felt that once the dowel was pushed in, it was final.
My intent is to still change the oil on schedule. The truck won't be a daily driver.
Deve and Dave, when I first got the engine it had no filter, only a metal 1/2" line bridging from port to port.
I think they did that, just to be safe in case some goober like me came along and pushed in the dowel over time, not knowing what the results would be.
I bought the filter off Ebay because I thought it was a cool addition to the engine, correct to the time period.
As mentioned, the Casting Numbers from the Head and Block led me to the Engine Date.
The engine was a replacement, found in a '58 parts truck I bought from a work buddy for $300.
When I initially tore the engine down, everything measured close to factory specs.
The cylinders didn't even have a ridge and I only had to hone them.
The engine is a true 261 all the way to the carb and cam.
Jerry

1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Hellomrwilson #1114731 Mon Jul 20 2015 03:39 PM
ace skiver
Jerry,

Better safe than sorry. It looks like you are being thoughtful and careful. Keep asking questions, and keep considering/ignoring replies/suggestions (as appropriate).

Please give us a road-drive report.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Hellomrwilson #1114740 Mon Jul 20 2015 04:39 PM
H
Shop Shark
Thanks Tim, will do!
I'm really anxious to get this puppy back on the road!

1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop