The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
4 members (ApacheFiend, 1953GMCJimmy, klhansen, 1 invisible), 231 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,426
Posts973,547
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Valve train clatter
Hellomrwilson #1111935 Sun Jul 05 2015 02:57 PM
H
Shop Shark
Fred T, yes sir, the cam bearings were replaced.
That's an interesting tip about the oil pump!
Jerry

1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Hellomrwilson #1112026 Mon Jul 06 2015 01:15 AM
Master Gabster
I just made a simple bracket bolted to a hole in the top of my frame to hold my stock gauge cluster for engine break-in. It gives me oil pressure, temperature, and charge rate (alternator).
Too much to go wrong with a new rebuild to leave the oil pressure and temperature to chance.
Carl

Hellomrwilson #1112040 Mon Jul 06 2015 02:04 AM
D
Gas Pumper
That is very true. If you dont want to use the stock gauges because they are in the truck, its not expensive to go with electrical sense gauges for this. You can get the part numbers I used here: http://devestechnet.com/Home/StartKartPlans

Nice thing about having electric water temp and oil pressure is you can verify your stock gauges are reading about the same. It's a good idea to monitor your oil pressure and water temp for sure.

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Hellomrwilson #1112100 Mon Jul 06 2015 01:21 PM
H
Shop Shark
Deve,
That's a neat set-up! It was very thorough in instruction. I saved it to my reference folder under the restoration of the truck. I also have a Test Stand set of instructions that I had saved prior if you're interested.
Truly if I did a lot of engine rebuilds, something like this would be an absolute must have for me. As a shade tree with no shop, I just manage to scrape by with what I have, right out in the driveway or in the garage.
I'll find an oil pressure gage and temp gage for the next crank-up test. Thanks for that suggestion!
I guess if a person rebuilt a lot of engines, the oil pump on again-off again delivery might have been experienced before. I've rebuilt a few engines, but have never run across this. I did a search and found a few cases of the same problem by other Bolters.
I decided to buy an oil pump and it's on the way, with a few other items I've been needing for the truck. I'll save my old pump and rebuild it later.
I haven't pulled the pan and verified bearing condition yet...
Jerry

In the Stovebolt Gallery

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Hellomrwilson #1114639 Mon Jul 20 2015 01:56 AM
H
Shop Shark
OK guys, I'm back with that report.
I pulled the Oil Pan and inspected the Bearings. I saw some slight wiping and scratches on a few of them... enough to decide to spring for new Main and Rod Bearings while I had the Engine out. I also bought an Oil Pump!
Honestly, I still don't know why my old pump was problematic but what matters now, is that after installing a gauge cluster to the Engine Dolly to monitor the Oil Pressure, Temperature and output from the generator, the Engine is now cranked and running very smoothly and oiling well with good constant pressure! HOORAH!

The 261 on the Dolly

It cranks easily... and I'm happy with it! I'll run it just a bit more on the stand and I hope to install it in the truck soon... maybe next weekend.

I'm so ready to get the '59 on the road again!

The '59, my better half and me

As always, thanks for the help.
Till next time!

Jerry

Hellomrwilson #1114642 Mon Jul 20 2015 02:16 AM
ace skiver
Jerry,

What is the year of your 261 (sorry, I did not see/remember the year)? Presumably, 1957 or earlier (with by-pass oil filter)?

It's a nice looking engine. Also, nice second photo.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Hellomrwilson #1114648 Mon Jul 20 2015 02:38 AM
H
Shop Shark
Tim, the Casting numbers on the head and block led me to 1962. There's no stamping on the distributor pad.

Thanks!
Jerry

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Hellomrwilson #1114655 Mon Jul 20 2015 03:06 AM
ace skiver
Jerry,

Forgive my continued questioning. You might have taken care of this.

It looks you have small diameter oil filter line. Do you have a by-pass oil filter?

The 1962 261 is normally set up for a full-flow oil filtration system, requiring 1/2" oil filter lines on both sides of the filter canister. It looks like you have a smaller diameter metal tube and smaller than 1/2" inner diameter lines.

I think you can set up that year-engine for a by-pass filter, but I have never seen that done.

What you have might be OK (I might be wrong bringing this to your attention).

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Hellomrwilson #1114659 Mon Jul 20 2015 03:19 AM
D
Gas Pumper
Mine doesn't have any stamping on the distributor pad either Jerry. Its a replacement engine and was made in 1964. When I got it, it had the dowel OUT meaning it was set up for no filter or a bypass filter. You can read alot about your engine here:

http://devestechnet.com/Home/TheVenerable261

Its nice if its equipped for a full flow system to use it. It will make the engine last longer. It sure looks nice!

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Hellomrwilson #1114671 Mon Jul 20 2015 03:56 AM
P
Master Gabster
This may be a Canadian 261 which only had bypass filters.
I see front side mount provisions, this was only on 235 up to 1959, 261 do some strange things though.
I suspect this is a 1955-59 engine.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop