The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Big Thanks!

Big THANKS to

MONGO
for hosting
the weekend event.

Read all about it.

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 members (2ManyTrucks, 1942-G506, 49choptop, aircommando462, Cosmo, 1 invisible), 128 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics124,610
Posts1,005,730
Members44,984
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Four Horses Die at Calgary Stampede
#1113555 Mon Jul 13 2015 11:53 PM
S
'Bolter
It seems to happen every year during these inane chuck wagon races. The world, now-infamous Calgary Stampede is supposed to depict the history of the cowboy, the round ups, the breaking of the broncos but in what part of that history did chuck wagons race? My belief was that the chuck wagon was used to carry food, supplies and even the cook stove to serve the cowboys during a round up. I can never image a wagon laden with so much being raced across a prairie. To many people this event should be cancelled as not only is it fatal for so many horses it does not portray history as the Stamped claims.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Re: Four Horses Die at Calgary Stampede
Sedgewick #1113568 Tue Jul 14 2015 01:06 AM
A
Shop Shark
What a shame. We have them every year at the Houston rodeo and I can't remember a horse ever getting killed, must have been a bad wreck.

Allen
Yeah, well, that's just like, you know , your opinion, man - The Dude

1948 Chevy 3600 - goal Original restoration, Current Stage 1 - Disassembly and getting body in primer
1954 GMC 3100 goal Hot Rod, Current Stage 1 - Get body in primer
1931 Ford Model A 5 window Coupe - Old Skool Hot Rod
1945 Ford 2N Tractor - Runs great
1964 Ford 2000 Tractor - Use it every week
1974 Stingray Corvette

Sedgewick #1113579 Tue Jul 14 2015 01:51 AM
S
'Bolter
I believe they happened in four different races.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1113646 Tue Jul 14 2015 05:57 AM
Leo Offline
'Bolter
I was at the Saturday evening chuck wagon races. It was a hoot, no mishaps at all. But it's all about the money, the winner took home $100,000.

Sedgewick #1113657 Tue Jul 14 2015 11:28 AM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Sedgewick
I believe they happened in four different races.

Unfortunately it happens here too as well at the Grand National,a consequence of a ridiculously long race,massive jumps and exhausted horses....
Again,it's all about the money i'm afraid...

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .
Sedgewick #1113661 Tue Jul 14 2015 01:04 PM
B
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Sedgewick
It seems to happen every year during these inane chuck wagon races. The world, now-infamous Calgary Stampede is supposed to depict the history of the cowboy, the round ups, the breaking of the broncos but in what part of that history did chuck wagons race? My belief was that the chuck wagon was used to carry food, supplies and even the cook stove to serve the cowboys during a round up. I can never image a wagon laden with so much being raced across a prairie. To many people this event should be cancelled as not only is it fatal for so many horses it does not portray history as the Stamped claims.

From what I remember going to Cheyenne Frontier Days years ago, it's based on the old cattle drives where the wagon would load up after breakfast and "race" to the next night's campsite and be set up and ready to serve dinner by the time the cowboys got there with the herd.

Bob

Sedgewick #1113725 Tue Jul 14 2015 10:43 PM
S
'Bolter
Probably so but I am sure they didn't race like they do at Calgary, around barrels and competing with other teams.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

Sedgewick #1113768 Wed Jul 15 2015 02:50 AM
J
'Bolter
we have the insane Omak Suicide Race.

"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
Sedgewick #1113799 Wed Jul 15 2015 05:25 AM
H
'Bolter
At least NASCAR only kills drivers and pit crew members, and maims the occasional spectator. I don't mind putting a deer, rabbit, or squirrel in the cook pot, but running a horse to death for money, no matter what the amount, is a little beyond contempt!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1113809 Wed Jul 15 2015 07:49 AM
J
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
At least NASCAR only kills drivers and pit crew members, and maims the occasional spectator.

I wholeheartedly agree Jerry,people make the decision to watch Nascar knowing full well the dangers.
It's THEIR choice.

Nobody wants to see anyone or anything getting hurt in the name of entertainment (I hope!) but it's an accepted risk we humans take,the poor horses DO NOT get that option....

I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings

"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.

1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in Scotland
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Flickr .

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop