The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 243 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,428
Posts973,549
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Valve train clatter
#1111788 Sat Jul 04 2015 05:38 PM
H
Shop Shark
Hi guys,
I just cranked my 261 on the dolly. I set the valves cold .006" intakes and .018" exhausts following a sequence I found on here. I'm getting oil at the top and have good oil pressure.
I have a cycling of excessive noise clatter from cam up. Like I said, cycling... it will run smooth for a bit, then start clattering.
Can anyone offer insight on what's going on?
Thanks,
Jerry
Jerry

1959 Chevy Apache 3200 Stepside
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Restoration Journal on Facebook

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Re: Valve train clatter
Hellomrwilson #1111793 Sat Jul 04 2015 06:25 PM
H
Shop Shark
OK I went back outside and cranked it again and observed it to see if I could detect anything, and I did.
Oil would flow at the top and it would run smooth. Then I noticed the oil would appear to stop flowing and it would start clattering.
I don't know why the oil pump is delivering like that. Maybe while the engine is out, I should just replace the oil pump?
Jerry

In the Stovebolt Gallery

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul." ~ George Bernard Shaw
Hellomrwilson #1111802 Sat Jul 04 2015 07:19 PM
H
Boltergeist
What's your oil pressure doing when the oil flow stops? If it's a pump problem, the pressure would have to be dropping to virtually zero.

What cam and lifters are you running, and are you sure it's a mechanical lifter cam?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hellomrwilson #1111815 Sat Jul 04 2015 08:22 PM
Shop Shark
Have you had the engine apart?

Engines warm up and expand due to heat and then due to being worn out beyond clearances they lose oil pressure because oil leaks out internally so there is not enough oil to reach the head and valve train.

Last edited by 32vld; Sat Jul 04 2015 08:23 PM.
Hellomrwilson #1111851 Sun Jul 05 2015 12:57 AM
T
Shop Shark
Jerry,
Loosen the distributor clamp and push down on the dist. Just incase it is not fully engaging the oil pump.

Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Hellomrwilson #1111855 Sun Jul 05 2015 01:33 AM
D
Gas Pumper
You can also take the distributor out and run the pump with a drill. Oil pressure should be 30 psi on a fresh engine using the drill. Tommy could have something there. You shouldn't have more than about 3/8" between the top of the dist shaft and the top of the vac advance bracket.

Deve

1950 Chevy 3100 Deluxe Cab
1950 Chevy 3100 Standard Cab
In the Stovebolt Gallery
The Think Tank
More info and tips at Deve's Technet
Hellomrwilson #1111860 Sun Jul 05 2015 02:02 AM
H
Shop Shark
Jerry (Hotrod Lincoln, I have the engine in a dolly so there's not a gage hooked up. I have capped off the connection that the oil pressure line goes to. I might add that once it shot off (a valve stem cap) and oil shot a good 25 feet before I turned the engine off. That's not to say the pressure is constant.
The cam is the original 261 cam. The lifters are original also (solid lifters).

32vld, Yes sir I just rebuilt the engine. I didn't expect any complications with the oil supply.

Tommy I hear ya brother... I've learned that lesson the hard way already.
My first plan of action tomorrow, will be to pull the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill. I would think the same intermittent problem should occur... right? If it delivers oil constantly I'll suspect the distributor to oil pump connection, though I already checked and the distributor is seated all the way down.
When the flow showed up at the rockers, it was a good flow so I don't suspect any blockage... besides, I had everything cleaned and cleared when I rebuilt the engine (block/head/rocker shafts). When the oil flowed, it did very well.
If I'm left suspecting the distributor to oil pump connection afterwards, I'll put the engine back on the stand and flip it bottom up to try to figure this out. I guess I'd need to do this anyway if I were to replace the oil pump. I need to also verify my new bearings while I'm at it... eek
I'll post what I find tomorrow evening... sheesh, I had hoped to get the engine back in the truck this holiday weekend.
Jerry

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Hellomrwilson #1111866 Sun Jul 05 2015 02:39 AM
H
Shop Shark
Oh... and thank you all for your input! Truly, you guys are appreciated.
As this total restoration project has been lonesome for me, Sometimes, it just takes talking a problem out with like minded fellows to feel I'm not truly alone with it and can figure out some problem issues with some great helps!
Jerry

In the Stovebolt Gallery

Hellomrwilson #1111873 Sun Jul 05 2015 04:09 AM
H
Boltergeist
Running an engine without some sort of oil pressure monitoring device is just a little too much like playing Russian Roulette to suit me. An aftermarket direct-reading oil pressure and temp gauge are cheap insurance. Can I interest you in a high-stakes poker game? I have a feeling you'd draw to an inside straight!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hellomrwilson #1111902 Sun Jul 05 2015 09:54 AM
F
Shop Shark
If the distributor shaft isn't seated in the pump it won't move any oil.

I was taught that if you replace the bearings you replace the pump. If not I would suspect some crud in the pressure relief valve. You can buy a cheap oil pressure gauge for a few bucks and use it to check the pressure while on the stand.

While you had the engine apart did you replace the cam bearings?

Fred
52 3600
69 C-10
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop