The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 registered members (Apache1, 1Ton_tommy, drdoug, DES57, 6571, darthintel, 1 invisible), 344 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,206
Posts927,394
Members42,578
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: 47-53 grey/silver interior, dash, door paint....jim carter brown? [Re: DADS50] #1088051 Thu Feb 26 2015 02:21 PM
F
fonz8261 Offline
Shop Shark
Going to sound real ignorant here...since I sprayed out the interior last August, I have done nothing to it. No clear coat, no buffing, no waxing, etc. What are guys doing to the finish? What would have been a factory finish on it?

interior, dash, door paint... [Re: mynameismoon] #1088052 Thu Feb 26 2015 02:26 PM
D
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
I rattled can mine almost 5 years ago
Rustolieum brand. No clear

Still looks good to this day

I live in an area with lots of sun. I didn't want a shiny dash

Not sure how the factory did it?

Re: interior, dash, door paint... [Re: mynameismoon] #1095611 Sun Apr 05 2015 07:00 AM
S
stoveboltgator Offline
Wrench Fetcher
I have recently seen several that have what I believe to be "original" interior paint and I have become convinced that the paints everyone seem to use are lacking in one very important area... finish.

I am seeing FLAT finishes on these original dashboards, and it is a light grey with only a tiny hint of warmth (reddish or brown cast). Virtually all of the repainted ones I have seen are too brown, too dark and too glossy.

I keep seeing the mention of a different grey color for '53 but it seems to be a mystery buried in the sands of time, no one really can say what it was. My first truck (a '53) is lighter like that and I believe its dashboard to be "original".

I am taking picture of all of them I see and I may just "wing it" with a color that looks like that. The problem is that pictures deal with Pantone colors and not with paint dyes. I am no expert at all but I know that it's not easy to translate between the two.

Re: interior, dash, door paint... [Re: mynameismoon] #1095619 Sun Apr 05 2015 12:15 PM
D
Denny Graham Offline
Extreme Gabster
The binders are different resins, the pigments are chemically different, the metal flake is
a different material, and the reducers are different now a days due to the use of
hardeners and catalysts. All of the individual components that make up paint are
compounds of many different materials. Each individual chemical in the compound will
age differently as they outgas and oxidize over time. All of the materials making up
paints today are of a completely different generation than those of a half century or
more in the past.
For those reasons you will never be able to come up with a ‘perfect’ match. Even
pristine original paint that has been hidden from the sun and weather will have changed
by merely being exposed to the atmosphere for 50, 60 or 70 years. Some of the
components that make up the pigment could be faded to a lighter color or some darker,
some of the resins could have darkened, some of the metal flake will be oxidized
possibly making it lighter or darker depending on the alloy used.
In other words, it’s impossible to say exactly what the original color was. The best we
can do is find something that looks correct to the eye. PPG has offsets that are close to
the original AD interior color, and on the less expensive side, the Rustoleum 7272 that
some of the guys have been using is a good alternative.
It’s been so long since any of us have sat behind the wheel of an original painted dash
in our daily driver because of the plastic padded safety dash of today, that we’ve
forgotten that the interiors of yesterday’s vehicles were in fact, painted with a gloss
paint. I can remember vividly waxing all of the dash boards and garnish moldings in all
of the vehicles that I owned ranging from the ’34 Studebaker, to the ’41 Caddy to the
many cars thru the 50’s and 60’s. I can’t remember one that was ever finished with flat
paint!

DG

Last edited by Denny Graham; Sun Apr 05 2015 12:17 PM.
Re: interior, dash, door paint... [Re: stoveboltgator] #1095621 Sun Apr 05 2015 01:03 PM
D
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by stoveboltgator

I keep seeing the mention of a different grey color for '53 but it seems to be a mystery buried in the sands of time,

http://1954advance-design.com/Advan...%20Tech%20Tip%20--%20Paint%20Colors.html

Re: 47-53 grey/silver interior, dash, door paint....jim carter brown? [Re: mynameismoon] #1095629 Sun Apr 05 2015 02:22 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
Much of the information in the Tech Tip given in the last post by DADS50 came from the sources at the links below (plus paint chip sheets linked-to in the Tech Tip). Information on interior parts was somewhat limited.

Here is some documentation that was used:

1953 Chevrolet Service News article.

47-55 Advance-Design colors (some of the interior colors, if shown, are "boxed" for emphasis)

Those names/codes do not help to visualize what the colors look like.

Regarding the level of gloss of interior colors, many people think that a "mild amount" of flattening compound (to achieve "low gloss" or "semi-gloss") was used in interior paints in at least some years. Documentation on this is minimal.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: 47-53 grey/silver interior, dash, door paint....jim carter brown? [Re: mynameismoon] #1095630 Sun Apr 05 2015 02:35 PM
D
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
Interesting

Dark tan metallic

Sheen gray metallic

Are different colors

Thanks for the additional service bulletin

Re: 47-53 grey/silver interior, dash, door paint....jim carter brown? [Re: mynameismoon] #1095640 Sun Apr 05 2015 03:11 PM
C
cmayna Offline
Shop Shark
I'm rattle canning my truck's door jambs and door interior panels with Rusty's 7272830 Metallic Dark Bronze and love it. Close enough to the original for me.

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: 47-53 grey/silver interior, dash, door paint....jim carter brown? [Re: mynameismoon] #1095647 Sun Apr 05 2015 03:40 PM
D
DADS50 Offline
Shop Shark
Yes, I used the same. ...good stuff...

But the question stoveboltgator had was about a gray color used in 53
Originally Posted by stoveboltgator
I keep seeing the mention of a different grey color for '53 but it seems to be a mystery buried in the sands of time,

tclederman provided information on that

Re: 47-53 grey/silver interior, dash, door paint....jim carter brown? [Re: mynameismoon] #1096368 Thu Apr 09 2015 06:50 AM
S
stoveboltgator Offline
Wrench Fetcher
The real problem is finding a paint chip for the 202-81407 (DuPont) or 31104 (PPG). I just have to believe that my 53's dashboard is that color, especially with the remark by tclederman that there WAS a flattener added for interiors... this dashboard is definitely not a high-gloss finish. This color also goes real well with brown leatherette seat cover and door panels from the one original example I have seen.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop