Well, got the thing up and running today. I re-installed the carb and hooked everything up. Once again the truck fired up immediately. I adjusted the idle a bit so it would stay running and I let it run for quite some time to see if adjusting the floats in the carb eliminated the gas spewing problem.
Next, I eased the truck forward and hit the brakes to see if the unbled brakes would work and they seemed to do ok. So, around the loop I went. The clutch is a bit grabby and I need to remember to start out in 2nd gear, 1st is just too low. i made it around the loop a couple of times without a repeat of my brake failure episode so decided to venture a little further down the road. I drove about a quarter mile and turned around, came back and parked it.
There is some gas seepage from the carb but so far, no cascade of petroleum like the last time. Also, the brakes do sorta work. It seemed as though it would lock one front wheel before anything else but I was just super happy that I had a way of arresting forward momentum!